Chainsaws (Gas/Battery/Corded)???

David L

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
Also, learn how to sharpen a chain. Don’t send a chain to someone and pay them $10 to sharpen it.

Also, junk that shitty safety chain that comes on the saw and buy non saftey chain that actually cuts.
Oregon chain?

c hris527

Known around here
Reaction score
I bought a combo Toro trimmer and Chainsaw 2 years ago, Both do pretty well for what they are, 60 V batteries hold up pretty well, Great for small jobs around the house, I would not recommend it for a lumberjack :cool:

rolibr24

Getting comfortable
Reaction score
Do you know much about the MS 171:

Oregon chain?
I don’t know anything about the 171, I never worked on one. I do see the 171 has a side adjust chain tensioner, which is better. But it also has the new “flippy“ gas and oil caps which I absolutely despise. Those things are worthless and can be a pain in the ass to close after a while. Where the 170 has the old school tried and true gas caps.

If you are one who works on your own stuff, then hands down go with the 170. After market parts are available everywhere for cheap on the 170/180 series saws.

I‘ve never been a fan of Oregon chain. I love Carlton. That saw will be 3/8lp chain. If you get a 16” bar look for 55 drive link chain, it’ll probably be .043

Stihl chain is the best chain made, but out expensive. I always stocked Carlton. I could buy a 100’ roll for a little over $200, where a roll of Stihl chain would be at least double the price.
I would by chain by the roll and make my own loops.

As an eBay Associate IPCamTalk earns from qualifying purchases.
Reaction score
When I had to remove the monster sized live oak tree in my backyard 7 years ago, I did most by hand (didn't have any other tools). Had a party and a friend said to me, 'WTF is wrong with you? I will let you borrow my gas Stihl chain saw.' OMG what a sweet cutter! Went thru that tree like cheese. Fantastic. Forward a few years and I have a few small to medium sized branches to get down. So it was black Friday and I found this for $35. That was a few years ago and still works like a champ! (a bit beat up though) Again, different jobs, different tools. If I needed a full sized chain saw, I certainly would NOT hesitate to get a gas Stihl.

1701170690173.png

David L

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
When I had to remove the monster sized live oak tree in my backyard 7 years ago, I did most by hand (didn't have any other tools). Had a party and a friend said to me, 'WTF is wrong with you? I will let you borrow my gas Stihl chain saw.' OMG what a sweet cutter! Went thru that tree like cheese. Fantastic. Forward a few years and I have a few small to medium sized branches to get down. So it was black Friday and I found this for $35. That was a few years ago and still works like a champ! (a bit beat up though) Again, different jobs, different tools. If I needed a full sized chain saw, I certainly would NOT hesitate to get a gas Stihl.

View attachment 178797
I looked at Pole saws too, actually I have looked at all saws. I even had that saw in my cart at one time. What I found is Sunjoe and those like it, other than name brands, were cheaper than buying a hand pole saw. The difference is with a hand pole saw you can double the pole height.

Have to say most of these type saws get positive reviews, everyone seems to like them, homeowners that is.

David L

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
My Christmas present to myself. I am going to get a starter chainsaw. The Stihl MS170 It will give me something to play with until I get a better one. Tired of waiting.
Been seeing all the Mods people are doing with these. Carb. Mod, Muffler Mod, Chain Tensioner Mod. I am going to wait on the first two but did order a side tensioner, it should help. Also a Dog, not that I will need it but it is cheap enough to make the MS170 look good :)

SIR VEYOR

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
For 10 acres, the Dewalt and it’s similar would be fine. Pretty much whatever line you’ve invested in. Unless you’re cutting for a wood stove, you won’t be doing much cutting all at once. Unless it’s after a storm. Have batteries charged in advance of a storm and you’re good. And for trail riding, and post storm blowdowns, you know it’ll start. Slightly less stuff to pack on the quad and a lot less mess. You can even charge Dewalt on 12V in the car/quad now.

Bigger falls just need more time with a small bar or lower power saw. Remember, even the handsaws will do the job.

You can run used motor oil for bar oil. The used synthetic is nice in winter. If it’s cold, drag the chain on a log a few rotations before starting.

Use TruFuel or similar if gas. Otherwise highest octane and mix a little Heavy on the oil side. Swing by you small airport nearby for AVgas for best stuff. Not the gas station.

Typically, I do three strokes with the file each tank of gas. You can mark a tooth with a marker so you know when you’ve done a full round. Do one side fully, then switch. Don’t alternate as you go. You can watch you chips to see when to file. Sawdust size, sharpen, chips the size of the lightning cord tip, you’re good. Don’t expect the long curly shavings. It’s a rare thing and goes away fast anyways.

Consider a shorter bar than the saw comes with. More time limbing than felling and the little less weight and maneuvering pays off.

Buy the Kevlar pants or the chaps. Chaps are a pain until you get used to them. If you and the wife have different lead off feet, then one pair is fine. Only one leg ever seems to get cut. Get the highest speed you can find.

Wear the steel toes. Bars love to find the toes.

wear the hard hat, muffs, and mesh shield. Too many eye injuries without it. And if you’re felling in dense stuff, or just blowdown, crap will find your head. Gloves, More just what’s comfortable but durable.

Buy/keep an extra bar & chain handy. WHEN the saw gets stuck, you have a spare saw to free it.

look for how the tree and branches are under tension when cutting. Compression cuts on top before cutting from underneath help and give notice to pull the saw.

The Automation Guy

Known around here
Reaction score
I just bought a Stihl helmet/muff/mesh shield combo while I had some expiring points with Ace. While I don't do a ton of chain sawing, I figured it would be good for running the string trimmer too. I always hated running glasses with muffs.

rolibr24

Getting comfortable
Reaction score
My Christmas present to myself. I am going to get a starter chainsaw. The Stihl MS170 It will give me something to play with until I get a better one. Tired of waiting.
Been seeing all the Mods people are doing with these. Carb. Mod, Muffler Mod, Chain Tensioner Mod. I am going to wait on the first two but did order a side tensioner, it should help. Also a Dog, not that I will need it but it is cheap enough to make the MS170 look good :)
A muffler mod really opens those little guys up. But you need to throw a different carb on first. The carb that comes on it only has low side adjustment, not high side. A quick google search will leed you to a carb with H side adjustment for that saw. They are cheap, I’ve had really good luck buying Chinese carbs off eBay, they ain’t much more than $20.

David L

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
I bought the saw this early evening, also some Stihl Synthetic Oil for the gas mix, I guess I will convert my Stihl Weed Eater over to it too.
I sure like the light weight of the saw...

Want to thank everyone for your post/help/comments...