Cellular cameras

rms59

n3wb
Reaction score
Here is the expanded and final list which ends my testing for this camera's data usage. For each time listed I accessed and viewed the live video for aprox 30 seconds using the pan where noted. Then I closed out and checked my data usage which in the app. Some times on my list showed more data being used but I don't know why since I was consistant with my method of testing. My only guess is the data reporting is not up to the minute.

Again, I'm impressed with the camera and it's app and in the week of testing I never had any major problems accessing it. I had a minor problem twice when it failed to access with the warning that the data card can't be verified but accessing it again was fine. The video can be viewed in HD or SD, and all functions worked perfectly. I'll be moving it to the cottage in a few days. Hope this test helps someone with a similar question and I'll give an update in a few months.
Ignoring the 300MB start when I was playing around I started at 269 and ended at 220 which is 49MB for the week.. roughly 2.6GB for a year. I'll just buy a 12GB/year refill.

Monday Nov 6th
10:00am - 300MB available (starting data from the included EIOTCLUB sim card.
07:30pm - 269MB remaining after playing with it several times during the day.
10:00pm - 268MB remaining.

Tuesday Nov 7th
07:00am - 268MB remaining (no drop for 8 hours overnight)
11:00am - 267MB remaining. Viewed and panned
04:30pm - 265mb remaining. Viewed and panned
06:30pm - 265mb remaining. Viewed and panned
10:00pm - 263mb remaining. Viewed

Wednesday Nov 8th
08:00am - 263mb remaining. No drop overnight.
11:00am - 263mb remaining. Viewed and panned
03:00pm - 260MB remaining. Viewed
09:15pm - 253MB remaining. (biggest drop since start for unknown reason)
11:00pm - 251MB remaining. Viewed

Thursday - Nov 9th
08:00am - 251MB remaining. Viewed
09:00am - 249MB remaining, Viewed and panned
11:00am - 249MB remaining. Viewed
01:00pm - 248MB remaining. Viewed and panned
06:30pm - 248MB remaining. Viewed and panned
10:00pm - 248MB remaining. Viewed and panned

Friday Nov 10
08:00am - 247MB remaining. Viewed
11:00am - 246MB remaining. Viewed
01:30pm - 246MB remaining. Viewed and panned
05:00pm - 245MB remaining. Viewed
10:00pm - 243MB remaining. Viewed and panned

Saturday Nov 11
08:00am - 241MB remaining. Viewed and panned
10:00am - 240MB remaining. Viewed
02:30pm - 239MB remaining Viewed and panned
05:00pm - 239MB remaining Viewed. (The video initially failed with a message to check the sim card. Rebooted phone instead and everything worked.
10:30pm - 235MB remaining. Viewed and panned.

Sunday Nov 12
08:00am - 233 remaining. Viewed
02:00pm - 232 remaining. Viewed and panned
05:00pm - 231 remaining. VIewed and panned
07:00pm - 231 remaining. Viewed and panned
10:00pm - 231 remaining. Viewed.

Monday Nov 13
09:00 - 220MB remaining. Viewed. (big drop overnight) Video failed again when trying to access camera but popped in ok after trying again. Temp was 27F

I believe the data usage is pretty reasonable for my use.

End of testing

PS..... The camera cost me $107 but now its $139

CCTVCam

Known around here
Reaction score
The big question is what's the picture quality like at night especially with movement? Cheaper cameras generally don't do well at night and whilst they can sometimes deliver what appears to be a good picture, it's done by huge amounts of gain and slow shutter speeds, which then looks ok until a moving object such as a person comes into view when they either become a blur or a ghost. I'd suggest doing some night time testing walking through the picture area and then reviewing the video to see what you have before assuming all is good. To give you an idea, I have my gain capped at 50 for night and a 4ms shutter speed. Even so with a 1/1,2" sensor, I still need some light.

rms59

n3wb
Reaction score
The big question is what's the picture quality like at night especially with movement? Cheaper cameras generally don't do well at night and whilst they can sometimes deliver what appears to be a good picture, it's done by huge amounts of gain and slow shutter speeds, which then looks ok until a moving object such as a person comes into view when they either become a blur or a ghost. I'd suggest doing some night time testing walking through the picture area and then reviewing the video to see what you have before assuming all is good. To give you an idea, I have my gain capped at 50 for night and a 4ms shutter speed. Even so with a 1/1,2" sensor, I still need some light.
The camera will be mounted on a cottage in CT tomorrow which is about 500 feet up the street from the ocean. My intention is not security so I have motion detection and recording turned off which saves a boatload of data. I only want to use it to view the place when a storm is predicted in the area so I can see if any water is coming up the street and onto my property or whether damage is being done by high winds. It's happened before. The location of the camera is under the soffit of the garage allowing me to see the back, side and driveway up to the street.

The quality of the video is great and I'll post a snap after its installed.

CCTVCam

Known around here
Reaction score
As I said the test is motion at night. That said, I doubt you care if the ocean is blurred provided you can see it. I'm guessing your insurers have been questioning past claims.

rms59

n3wb
Reaction score
As I said the test is motion at night. That said, I doubt you care if the ocean is blurred provided you can see it. I'm guessing your insurers have been questioning past claims.
Like I said in my previous posts motion detection and recording have been disabled to keep data usage at a minimum and I'm not interested in that anyway. I only want to use it more or less as a spy camera in case there is a threat of flooding or high winds. The cottage is many years old and, in all that time, the only insurance claim was for several missing shingles from hurricane Sandy which they repaired. During that storm ocean water came up the street from the left and from the channel in the rear into the driveway and partially up the cement pillars but never came inside. Attached is a day and night image captured from live video.

The camera is amazing for the cost. Time will tell if it's reliable.

Attachments

rms59

n3wb
Reaction score
Just checking in. The camera has been working flawlessly for over two months now and came in handy when we got hit with a storm on January 7th that flooded the street in front of my cottage at high tide. (camera is mounted on garage in rear) That's an inlet to the ocean in the back. I purchased a 6 month block of data for $78.00 (6GB) and haven't put a dent in it so it looks like I'll be running out the months instead of data. When it does, I'll buy two smaller blocks for another camera I'm going to add to the front of the cottage this summer. I'll update again if something notable happens.

Screenshot_20240113_120037_UBox.jpg

rms59

n3wb
Reaction score
Another check-in. It's 4 months now since first installed and the camera is still working flawlessly and is still crystal clear. Not once did I ever have to go to the cottage and reset or adjust anything and I'm not using squat for data. In 4 months I've used 45Mb. I'm getting a much lower plan next time.

Broachoski

Getting comfortable
Reaction score
Nice!
Would you mind reposting a link or the name/model as Amazon is giving me "page not found"

rms59

n3wb
Reaction score
Nice!
Would you mind reposting a link or the name/model as Amazon is giving me "page not found"
The attached image is what I purchased in November that seems to have disappeared. However, the new one from Amazon looks to be the same identical one that I have with the exception that the cell data card says that Verizon can only be bought from Eiot. Otherwise, as you can see in the photos, they look the same. I will be buying one of these as I want to install another in front of the cottage.

OLD ONE is attached. NEW ONE... Same manufacturer

Attachments

As an Amazon Associate IPCamTalk earns from qualifying purchases.

Aaron222

n3wb
Reaction score
Hello Eevryone!

Can someone advise me on how it is possible to live stream multiple IP cameras onto a private website and app.

The cameras will be at different locations many miles apart, they will have to be LTE, solar/battery back up powered, no Poe. They do not need to be high quality resolution and no audio need. Just basic video quality 24/7 live video stream accessible from my private website and app.

Is this possible and if so how?