Can't update BI or Codeproject.AI software without breaking ai detection "AI: Error 404"

Reaction score
Hello,
I've stayed on BI version 5.7.6.8 (5/19/2023) and Codeproject.ai version 2.0.8.0 for a few months now because any time I upgrade either software to any version that is higher than the versions just mentioned, the ai detection just breaks. Even if I just update one and not the other. I'm kind of stuck on these versions since May and I've been looking everywhere for an answer. I have noticed people experiencing similar errors when using the license plate reader feature, but I've never used it and always check to see if it somehow got enabled, but it's not. They also seem to be experiencing other error numbers, not the 404 error I keep getting.

It gives "ai: error 404" code on the alert pane on the left hand side, on the alert itself under the word "motion" for each alert. Normally, this would show what the ai found (person, car, etc). The icons on the top right of the alert that represent the ai findings are also not available. I've attached the error messages as well as how it looks normally, under the previous versions mentioned.

I've tried going from 5.7.6.8 to a few of the newer different versions (didn't document which ones, but I've tried stable and newest releases). I've tried going from Codeproject.ai version 2.0.8 to 2.1.9, and the latest 2.1.11. I've tried reinstalling the software and it doesn't seem to do anything differently. Still see the same error any time I'm past those two software versions.

If anyone has any insight to this, I would appreciate some help. Thanks!

Attachments

Last edited:

XDRDX

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
I currently successfully have 2.1.8 and 5.7.9.5 working with no AI errors. Have you uninstalled CP.AI, rebooted, deleted the files in the C:\ProgramData\CodeProject\AI folder and the C:\Program Files\CodeProject\AI folders, then tried reinstalling CP.AI with 2.1.8. The uninstall, delete files, then reinstall has been necessary the last few times I’ve updated CP.AI. I haven’t stayed on any newer ones though because when I tried 2.1.9 I ran into similar AI issues.

Reaction score
I've been working on this since you posted last night and started again early this morning to now.
The good news is that thanks to your suggestions, I have been able to install the latest version of BI and it works with Codeproject.ai.

The bad news is that I was not able to get Codeproject.ai version 2.1.8, 2.1.9 nor the latest 2.1.11 working on the newest version of BI.

But! I have notifications now because I was able to get it installed with the massive 15-minute installation behemoth version 2.0.8.0.

When I was trying the newest Codeproject.ai software, it would say ai: Timeout, or ai: not responding instead of error 404. I tried looking for solutions to not responding and timeout specifically, but no good news there. Looked at this thread and also I tried the suggestions in this Reddit thread (when I tried installing 2.1.8, I had error 404 again, but the logs showed the same error as the op, "No module named 'PIL'"), I also tried using the Docker software, tried using CCleaner and still got the same errors of not responding.
I reverted to not using the Docker software and did a regular install. I checked the logs on the server dashboard and saw the following lines of code in red:
Code:
Error trying to start Object Detection (YOLOv5 6.2) (detect_adapter.py)
Then more code in red:
Code:
An error occurred trying to start process 'C:\Program Files\CodeProject\AI\runtimes\bin\windows\python37\venv\scripts\Python' with working directory
An error occurred trying to start process 'C:\Program Files\CodeProject\AI\runtimes\bin\windows\python37\venv\scripts\Python' with working directory 'C:\Program Files\CodeProject\AI\modules\ObjectDetectionYolo'. The system cannot find the file specified.
at System.Diagnostics.Process.StartWithCreateProcess(ProcessStartInfo startInfo)
at CodeProject.AI.API.Server.Frontend.ModuleProcessServices.StartProcess(ModuleConfig module)
Then finally at the bottom really bold:
Code:
Please check the CodeProject.AI installation completed successfully
I looked and saw there was a YOLOv5 6.2 module installed, so I tried reinstalling and no effect. I also noticed a module called YOLOv5 3.1 that is for older GPU's (I have Nvidia 2080) so I uninstalled 6.2 module and installed the 3.1 module to see if it made any difference. Nothing. I noticed that they were stopped in the main server page so I restarted 3.1 and nothing (this is where I took the screenshot attached). Now the error codes start with:
Code:
Error trying to start Object Detection (YOLOv5 3.1) (yolo_adapter.py)
I'm so stumped right now. I've tried repairing the installation, making sure I run the install as admin, among the myriad of other suggestions I've listed and not listed. I don't understand how many people have had issues with it and have just stuck to 2.0.8.0 and it's still not fixed for so many. They do have a lot of code to go through and at least I have 2.0.8.0 for now though. Sorry this is so much info but I still hold out hope. Thanks for your suggestions so far!

Attachments

XDRDX

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
I've been working on this since you posted last night and started again early this morning to now.
The good news is that thanks to your suggestions, I have been able to install the latest version of BI and it works with Codeproject.ai.

The bad news is that I was not able to get Codeproject.ai version 2.1.8, 2.1.9 nor the latest 2.1.11 working on the newest version of BI.

But! I have notifications now because I was able to get it installed with the massive 15-minute installation behemoth version 2.0.8.0.

When I was trying the newest Codeproject.ai software, it would say ai: Timeout, or ai: not responding instead of error 404. I tried looking for solutions to not responding and timeout specifically, but no good news there. Looked at this thread and also I tried the suggestions in this Reddit thread (when I tried installing 2.1.8, I had error 404 again, but the logs showed the same error as the op, "No module named 'PIL'"), I also tried using the Docker software, tried using CCleaner and still got the same errors of not responding.
I reverted to not using the Docker software and did a regular install. I checked the logs on the server dashboard and saw the following lines of code in red:
Code:
Error trying to start Object Detection (YOLOv5 6.2) (detect_adapter.py)
Then more code in red:
Code:
An error occurred trying to start process 'C:\Program Files\CodeProject\AI\runtimes\bin\windows\python37\venv\scripts\Python' with working directory
An error occurred trying to start process 'C:\Program Files\CodeProject\AI\runtimes\bin\windows\python37\venv\scripts\Python' with working directory 'C:\Program Files\CodeProject\AI\modules\ObjectDetectionYolo'. The system cannot find the file specified.
at System.Diagnostics.Process.StartWithCreateProcess(ProcessStartInfo startInfo)
at CodeProject.AI.API.Server.Frontend.ModuleProcessServices.StartProcess(ModuleConfig module)
Then finally at the bottom really bold:
Code:
Please check the CodeProject.AI installation completed successfully
I looked and saw there was a YOLOv5 6.2 module installed, so I tried reinstalling and no effect. I also noticed a module called YOLOv5 3.1 that is for older GPU's (I have Nvidia 2080) so I uninstalled 6.2 module and installed the 3.1 module to see if it made any difference. Nothing. I noticed that they were stopped in the main server page so I restarted 3.1 and nothing (this is where I took the screenshot attached). Now the error codes start with:
Code:
Error trying to start Object Detection (YOLOv5 3.1) (yolo_adapter.py)
I'm so stumped right now. I've tried repairing the installation, making sure I run the install as admin, among the myriad of other suggestions I've listed and not listed. I don't understand how many people have had issues with it and have just stuck to 2.0.8.0 and it's still not fixed for so many. They do have a lot of code to go through and at least I have 2.0.8.0 for now though. Sorry this is so much info but I still hold out hope. Thanks for your suggestions so far!
After installing any of the 2.1.x variants it takes about 15-30 minutes for it to go through and finish installing modules. The 2.0.x versions installed modules during the install process, however the 2.1.x versions do not. They install them after the base install is complete and also require a new version of .net or something like that, which if that failed to install during the base setup the module installer would never finish installing the modules. I had to manually install that piece before my 2.1.8 worked. I had forgotten about that until just now. I thought they fixed that with one of the other versions though.

Reaction score
After installing any of the 2.1.x variants it takes about 15-30 minutes for it to go through and finish installing modules. The 2.0.x versions installed modules during the install process, however the 2.1.x versions do not. They install them after the base install is complete and also require a new version of .net or something like that, which if that failed to install during the base setup the module installer would never finish installing the modules. I had to manually install that piece before my 2.1.8 worked. I had forgotten about that until just now. I thought they fixed that with one of the other versions though.
Interesting because I was clocking 2.0.8.0 at around 10-15 minutes for installation. The 2.1.x at a minute or less. As far as requiring new .net stuff, I don't remember seeing anything come up that says I need to update anything else. The 2.1.x installations seem like a breeze to me. Do you think that the installation process is not completing in my case? When I open the server dashboard I can see which modules they say are installed and which ones are not. I've also played with uninstalling / reinstalling the modules, etc to no avail.

Edit on 10/29/2023: I didn't want to bump the thread with a new post, so I'll update here... I can confirm that the latest CPAI 2.2.4.0 addresses this problem directly.

Last edited: