Can't play clips from web server

TWallace

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
I've just setup my Blue Iris system in the last week. Currently have 7 cameras. I've got it all working well now, but I noticed that I can't play the clips on my web server. I've tried this in Chrome, Firefox and IE 10 with the same result. If I open the inspector in Chrome and view the Network tab while a clip is attempting to play, I see a long string of HTTP 503 errors with each request.

Here's a screenshot of the inspector. The same happens whether I'm viewing over the LAN or remotely.

I also have the Blue Iris Android app and I can't play the clips on that either. I can view live streams on the app and via the web server just fine, though.

fenderman

Staff member
Reaction score
I've just setup my Blue Iris system in the last week. Currently have 7 cameras. I've got it all working well now, but I noticed that I can't play the clips on my web server. I've tried this in Chrome, Firefox and IE 10 with the same result. If I open the inspector in Chrome and view the Network tab while a clip is attempting to play, I see a long string of HTTP 503 errors with each request.

Here's a screenshot of the inspector. The same happens whether I'm viewing over the LAN or remotely.

I also have the Blue Iris Android app and I can't play the clips on that either. I can view live streams on the app and via the web server just fine, though.
Welcome to the forum..that is strange...can you view recorded video using the blue iris mobile app? can you view recorded video if you open the browser on the same pc blue iris is installed on?
Try disabling the firewall on both pc's....
also make sure the user has access to view recorded video in the user settings.

TWallace

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
Welcome to the forum..that is strange...can you view recorded video using the blue iris mobile app? can you view recorded video if you open the browser on the same pc blue iris is installed on?
Try disabling the firewall on both pc's....
also make sure the user has access to view recorded video in the user settings.
I've confirmed that the user has access to view recorded clips. I turned off Windows Firewall on the server. Was already off on this laptop I'm using. I'm still getting 503 errors when viewing clips, though.

TWallace

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
This might be a matter of not having the necessary codec to play the format you are recording.

BI recommends the K-Lite Codec Pack. Just be careful downloading/installing it because the maker loves to bundle spyware if I recall.

http://blueirissoftware.com/third-party-software/
I've just installed this on my laptop, but still can't play clips. The only undesirable thing I noticed it trying to install were some browser toolbars, which I declined.

fenderman

Staff member
Reaction score
I've confirmed that the user has access to view recorded clips. I turned off Windows Firewall on the server. Was already off on this laptop I'm using. I'm still getting 503 errors when viewing clips, though.
Did you test viewing in a browser on the pc that blue iris is installed on?
What exact version of blue iris are you running?

bp2008

Staff member
Reaction score
Well the 503 error means "service unavailable". As in, the Blue Iris web server responded, and said the requested service was unavailable.

Is it possible that the CPU is overloaded on the BI server, or could it be out of memory?

What format are you recording to? Try .bvr?

TWallace

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
Well the 503 error means "service unavailable". As in, the Blue Iris web server responded, and said the requested service was unavailable.

Is it possible that the CPU is overloaded on the BI server, or could it be out of memory?

What format are you recording to? Try .bvr?
I'm recording in MP4. I chose this over BVR as I thought BVR would only play within Blue Iris program or on the web server. But I want to be able to play these clips outside the web site on different machines in my LAN. If there's another player that can play BVR (VLC maybe?), I'd be ok with recording to BVR. Still, I think MP4 should be streamable via the web server anyway.

CPU usage is typically only 15-35%. It's got 8GB of RAM and only using 3-4GB.

bp2008

Staff member
Reaction score
Hmm. Well unfortunately Blue Iris is the only program that can read the BVR format. You can export specific clips or sections of clips to mp4 later, but you can't just take the original video file and play it in VLC or anything.

When I tried recording to MP4, I had playback trouble in the web server which got a little better but did not fully work even after installing the codec pack. I ended up switching back to BVR.

TWallace

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
This might be a matter of not having the necessary codec to play the format you are recording.

BI recommends the K-Lite Codec Pack. Just be careful downloading/installing it because the maker loves to bundle spyware if I recall.

http://blueirissoftware.com/third-party-software/
This turned out to be the problem. Earlier I installed the codecs on my laptop (client) and that didn't change anything. After more research today, I found someone with a similar issue. Like them, I also could not play the MP4 clips within Blue Iris, though I could in Windows Media Player on the same machine. So I installed the K-Lite codecs on the Blue Iris computer and that resolved the issues. I can now play MP4 clips within Blue Iris and while viewing the web server. Thanks all for the help!