Can't connect to Blue Iris on LAN

Tizeye

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
You definitely want INBOUND, but a bigger problem, at least in my experience, is Centurylink. It is great that they provide a "free" cable modem/router. Normally, I only need internet and supply my own cable modem (currently Arris Surfboard S33) and router (Asus), as I don't need phone (no landline) or TV (OTA plus internet based Roku/Apple TV, etc). The problem came the intro rate for internet expired and was actually cheaper to get the twin pack (internet + phone), betting the free modem/router that supported the phone, and the problem occurred when attempting to link my ASUS router for my entire home network and the ASUS VPN was blocked. Tech support assured me that the Centurylink modem/router (single unit) was in bridge mode, but 1) was still blocking Open VPN access, and 2) wouldn't give me access/password instructions for my reviewing their work and/or making administrator changes to their equipment like I could with my Asus router. Worse, they wouldn't let me rip it out, returning it to Centurylink, and replace with a cable modem on their approved list - because I had phone that was billed for but not supported. They didn't even change that stance when advised that I was a rare customer in a dually wired neighborhood with the competitors connection post 2 feet from theirs in my back yard. I became a Comcast customer with their intro rate setting up a reliable network with a separate cable modem and the Asus router. Now, every year or so when the intro rates expire, if they won't meet competitive intro pricing, I switch companies, doing a self install (typically free) which entails simply disconnecting the house feed line from one post and attaching two feet over connecting with the new company's post - then re-burying the excess line that enabled it if on the nearer post. No cable cutting, crimping or anything required.

On a related note if switching to OTA antenna, run the internet input line direct from house box to cable modem which may mean disconnecting from signal splitter and attached the two (splitter input/output) wires. Replace that cable internet input with the antenna input and you have all TV's connected to the antenna. May have to update the older basic splitter if amplifier power passthrough is required to the antenna, but now even the most basic ones do it. On antenna placement, while reception area, clearing trees and other obstacles, plays a major role, try to keep on "utility" side of house to connect directly to house ground. Opposite side and sinking a new ground post can create a ground loop issue. In my case, I ran a conduit down to enclose both the internet cable and the ground wire, "armoring" the system so no-one is going to cut my internet and disable my cameras, and backup power supply if an intruder cuts the power - which you can't secure due to fire regulations.