Can't Access Remote (Local/WiFi works)

DTDC

n3wb
Reaction score
Using BI v4.4.9.4 x64
When on WiFi, everything works great.
When trying to connect remotely, I get 'unable to connect'.

I recently downgraded to V4 from V5 due to a "demo version" message across my cameras after doing a v5 upgrade and removing v4. This problem existed pre-downgrade though, and I think it was related to a LAN IP change as mentioned below.

Anti-Virus is McAfee, which is a recent change from Norton. Firewall off = no change.

I had a recent LAN address change from 192.168.1.180:81 to 192.168.1.181:81. Fixing that fixed a connection issue on WiFi, but didn't help with remote connections
Made the same change on my router with Port Forwarding for port 81.

Been through the Remote Access Wizard multiple times. Everything seems fine with those settings.
I've deleted/re-added the server multiple times with no change. It pulls the info fine with the GET IPS button, and my phone shows up in the Mobile Devices tab in the program Options.

Stumped on where to look next. Any suggestions?

TonyR

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
  1. Is is safe to assume you made the BI server's IP static?
  2. Is your WAN IP static or are you using DDNS?
  3. If DDNS, have you checked to see if the hostname is being refreshed with the correct WAN IP?

Old Timer

Known around here
Reaction score
I would make sure your BI Pc is on a static IP first.
Then if you can not connect to it from inside your network, try to ping the address on a PC by pressing start, then type "CMD" without the "".
Then type
"ping 192.168.1.181"
You should get a reply, if not you need to check out your network setup.

Let us know what happens, so we can give you the next step.

You might have to wipe the PC of BI and reinstall ver 4 again, although I would put out the money to go back to ver 5.

Last edited:

DTDC

n3wb
Reaction score
I would make sure your BI Pc is on a static IP first.
Then if you can not connect to it from inside your network, try to ping the address on a PC by pressing start, then type "CMD" without the "".
Then type
"ping 192.168.1.181"
You should get a reply, if not you need to check out your network setup.

Let us know what happens, so we can give you the next step.

You might have to wipe the PC of BI and reinstall ver 4 again, although I would put out the money to go back to ver 5.
Pings just fine (it's the computer in my office that I'm posting from :) )

1. Is is safe to assume you made the BI server's IP static?
  2. Is your WAN IP static or are you using DDNS?
  3. If DDNS, have you checked to see if the hostname is being refreshed with the correct WAN IP?
Server IP as in the LAN IP of the computer hosting BI? Yes, thought it was, but my router must have puked at some point and forgot. Just fixed that along with the addresses of my 3 cameras.
My WAN IP isn't static, but it might as well be. Hasn't changed in over a year. Not using a DDNS right now.

Aside from my LAN IP jumping from 180 to 181 at some point recently, the setup is the same as I had been using previously.

Did you purchase V5 at any time ?
I purchased V4 and my license is good for V4 or V5 according to BI. V5 worked fine when I installed it. Followed the V4 removal instructions to the 't' and V5 jumped to demo mode when V4 was gone. Thus the revert to V4 to start the process over.

SouthernYankee

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
The bi v5 is a new license. It must be purchased. There is no free upgrade path from v4 to v5.

DTDC

n3wb
Reaction score
The bi v5 is a new license. It must be purchased. There is no free upgrade path from v4 to v5.
I traded emails with BI when I was first installing V4 and was having some difficulty. This is their response:
This is a valid license for version 4 or 5. Which version is installed precisely? Version must be greater than 4.8.0.0.

SouthernYankee

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
The license is good for upgrades for one year. Figure out what the last version of BI is before the license expires and install that.
See the BI about tab for your date (on V5, not sure about v4)

DTDC

n3wb
Reaction score
The license is good for upgrades for one year. Figure out what the last version of BI is before the license expires and install that.
See the BI about tab for your date (on V5, not sure about v4)

Thanks. Found and downloaded the proper V5. (License info is in the same spot in V4 and V5)

Doesn't quite help with my current situation, but I'll upgrade to that version and see how it goes.

SouthernYankee

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
most of us are on V5, so it is easier if we are all on the same page

1)What is the local IP for your router ?
2)who is your internet provider ?
3) is your internet connecdtion to your house fiber, wire or wireless ?
4) make and model of your router/ modem ?
5) do you own the router modem or lease for the intern provider ?
6)Do you have a block of address in the Router block from DHCP. What is that block of addresses ?
7)What is the Local IP address for your BI router ?
8)What are local address for the Cameras ?
9)Can you connect to BI using your home wifi on your phone using the browser and UI3?
10) Can you connect to BI from a PC hardwired to your local home network network ?
11) can you connect to the BI UI3 on your phone with phone wifi turned off ?
12) how do you connect to your local home network when on the internet do you use DDNS , or just remember the IP address ?
13) WHO is your DDNS provider ?

======================================
Private ip addresses. Local IP addresses. These addresses are NOT used by the internet. They are for your local home/business network.
10.0.0.0 to 10.255.255.255
172.16.0.0 to 172.31.255.255
192.168.0.0 to 192.168.255.255

Note there is no reason to redact local ip addresses when posting.

DTDC

n3wb
Reaction score
I'll upgrade to the proper iteration of V5 and report back.