Can PTZ stay at preset until no motion ?

mickiete

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
Hi all,

Been asked if BI can do the following, and if so how.

PTZ over looking yard with 2 zones set, 1 on gate A, and the other on gate B.
He has set it up with alerts so as when motion is detected at one of the gates the camera goes to that preset for that gate and then returns to home position.
He wants the preset to stay at that gate position while there is motion there, then return to a home position once motion has stopped.
At the moment he has the alert set to wait for a preset time, and then move to home position.

I have tried it on my PTZ but unable to get it to work the way he wants it to.

So told him I would ask you experts out there if it is possible.

wittaj

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
This thread will help you....it is within the PTZ/Control tab of the PTZ camera itself - you set up an autocycle that is just of the home position to return to when there is no more motion.

mickiete

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
Thanks for that, have read it and it mentions a fixed camera controlling the PTZ camera. But I am sure he only has the PTZ installed to cover the yard, no other cameras.
Would something like this work with just the PTZ, or will he need to install a fixed camera ?

wittaj

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
I assumed he was using a fixed cam to move the PTZ to a preset for gate A or gate B - how is he getting the PTZ to turn to one of the presets based on motion at the gate?

But yes, the autocycle within the PTZ camera tab would work regardless of how the PTZ moved to a preset.

mickiete

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
Using motion zones, one for each gate, goto preset command and wait command in "on alert", and preset 1 (home) in "on reset".
But it will not stay at a gate even if motion is there.

I will have a go on my PTZ with autocycle.

Bosty

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
Using motion zones, one for each gate, goto preset command and wait command in "on alert", and preset 1 (home) in "on reset".
But it will not stay at a gate even if motion is there.

I will have a go on my PTZ with autocycle.
Maybe setting the Trigger -> Break Time to something really short so it retriggers more rapidly...just a thought

mickiete

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
Well just an update.

Still can't get to pause/stay at preset if there is motion.
Hope someone can point me in the right direction.

Bosty

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
BI won't do this. I'm assuming he has 2 zones set up with his PTZ pointing in the middle. When action occurs to the left, the camera goes there but no longer has a zone at that location since it moved when the camera moved and there is no zone to cover the triggering motion anymore. So it stops recording. That is why most people use a 2nd fixed camera as an overwatch to trigger the PTZ. If he wants to use 1 camera, he needs a PTZ with autotracking built in. The camera software does the tracking, not BI.

I have a Dahua PTZ autotracking camera that does this. It points straight ahead and when there is motion to the left or right, it goes there and tracks the object until it is gone then returns to the middle.

So he needs either another fixed camera that can see both locations or an autotracking PTZ.

mickiete

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
I have been trying to get my ptz to do this too, I have a fixed camera, 2 zones, one on the left, other on the right.
I can get the ptz with alerts to move to each zone and return to a home point no problem.
I cant get the ptz to stay at either zone point if movement is detected while it is pointing at that zone.
If I can get it setup and working on my system, I can then tell my friend it is possible.

Bosty

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
I have been trying to get my ptz to do this too, I have a fixed camera, 2 zones, one on the left, other on the right.
I can get the ptz with alerts to move to each zone and return to a home point no problem.
I cant get the ptz to stay at either zone point if movement is detected while it is pointing at that zone.
If I can get it setup and working on my system, I can then tell my friend it is possible.
Check out this guy's site. he has some great ideas that might help you

EDIT: Just found this in the forums that should work for you: Change PTZ Presets based upon BI Motion Zones?