Can I see pixels of camera in BI ?

Stev Wolf

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
I have had BI for quite a while. I started reading a bit on detection always trying to improve things. I did not realize that a pixel is different depending on the resolution of the camera.

Is there any way in BI to see what a it considers is a pixel in each camera. I have a couple of cameras with different resolutions. Thus the size of a pixel is different for each camera.
i would like to see what how big a pixel is or say 100 pixels. Eg a Higher Res camera Pixels are smaller. Low Res Pixels are bigger.

Of course where this comes into play is in the Only trigger when object travels (Pixel) ## section of Bi. (I have 4.8.6.3)

It seems pretty complex to know, based on the fact that my monitor is one thing, the software opens it some how, eg paint. and then each camera is different. eg one is 1920x1080 another 1280x960 etc.
Maybe im making it more complex than it is, but pixels and resolution is an involved issues.

wittaj

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
While not totally accurate, when you are in the Motion Trigger section to draw in Zone A, Zone B, etc. it has a grid pop up - I use those as a guide to the number of pixels.

Here is an older video that goes into more detail:

Last edited:

Stev Wolf

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
thank you .
The boxes that you mention however are not pixels. For example on my screen 100 boxes is like the whole screen across the picture. So that is not even close to a pixel. It isnt really a good guide. A 100 Pixel Box would essentially be the whole picture.

Im thankful for those that make the videos and I have seen that video but it adds more questions. Unfortunately it is not clear to me. It also doesn't really explain the interplay between, "Minimum object size" (which doesn't use pixels) and "Object Detection Travel" which uses pixels. ALSO Im not really sure what he means when he says Camera reset. when "Object Size Exceeds." Im unclear if I should just use one setting at his example seems to show. or several settings. I know the answer is going to be. Well that depends on your situation. Its possible no one will be able to explain it to me.
Regards

bp2008

Staff member
Reaction score
If you open a camera in UI3 (the web interface) and use the mouse wheel to zoom to 1x, then it will be displaying the image at exactly its native resolution. That means each pixel from the camera is displayed as a single pixel on your monitor. Of course for this to work ideally you should be using a monitor with no DPI scaling enabled.

Stev Wolf

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
Thank you for your comment.

I could not find that on my Hikvision or on my Geovision. I have not checked my other models I have.

However, The Hikvision does have in the video picture a little Icon that looks like a square (bottom RHS) that you might see in editing software, photoshop or mspaint. If you click on this square. Then you can draw square that then indicates the size of the square in pixels. I dont see this on Geovision.
I have sort of resolved the issue by doing what the fella did in the video. Saved the picture. Opened it in Photoshop they choose pixels, then drew lines a little like he did.
I have printed this out so people can see how big 50 or 100 pixels is.
This means that you can actually place a line of X# of pixels on the picture to be sure that at 30 feet or 3 feet the detection of say a person moving across the picture 50 pixels is appropriate. Of course because the closer you are to the camera the number of pixels on the person, Car what ever is less.
Thank you.

wittaj

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
Well by a guide I meant you know the number of pixels your camera has by resolution, so if you have a 1080P camera, that means that you have roughly 2,000 pixels across and 1,000 pixels down to get to 2MP.

Then if the BI Motion blocks are 100 across by 52 down for that particular camera, then you have 5200 blocks in BI motion. Do the math > 2,000,000/5200 = each each BI motion block is approximately 385 pixels.

Again I said a guide and works for my purposes. YMMV

Oh yea, Dahua also has a pixel counter in their motion detection settings.

beepsilver

Getting comfortable
Reaction score
You can get a good representation of pixel(s) size by going to camera properties>trigger>configuration>use zones and hot spot (Edit). From there, select rectangles, put your cursor on the field of view, then click and drag your cursor....pixel representation is displayed in height/width.

Reactions: Wen