Can I change profiles remotely?

Reaction score
I want two profiles, home and away. But, I'm afraid I will forget to set it to away before I leave. Can I do it remotely from my iPad with the BI iPad app? If so, how?

fenderman

Staff member
Reaction score
I want two profiles, home and away. But, I'm afraid I will forget to set it to away before I leave. Can I do it remotely from my iPad with the BI iPad app? If so, how?
Yes you can...its in the settings option...the user needs administrative privileges..

bp2008

Staff member
Reaction score
I also just added this ability yesterday to my custom web pages linked below in my signature. Also requires the BI account to have administrator privilege.

Reaction score
Fenderman: Settings on the PC app or settings on the iPad app?

bp2008: I have no idea what you said. You are speaking shorthand, can you explain?

bp2008

Staff member
Reaction score
I think he is referring to the settings in the mobile app, for finding profile change options. The PC app is where you would configure the user account to have administrator privileges.

fenderman

Staff member
Reaction score
Fenderman: Settings on the PC app or settings on the iPad app?

bp2008: I have no idea what you said. You are speaking shorthand, can you explain?
I dont have the ios app, im using android, where the option is under settings...
In the pc software, go to blue iris options >users and make sure that user has admin privileges...
based on the screenshots here, it looks like you can do it from the main page on the ios app
https://itunes.apple.com/us/app/blue-iris/id585350145?mt=8

bp2008

Staff member
Reaction score
I was just providing an alternative to a mobile app, for remotely changing profiles. The "custom web pages" I spoke of would let you change the profile from any web browser. See this thread for more information on that, if you are interested: http://www.ipcamtalk.com/showthread.php?93-I-made-a-better-remote-live-view-page

But if you prefer the iPad app, it will let you change profiles just fine and you do not need my custom web pages I mentioned above. Follow fenderman's link and look at the first screenshot. The buttons numbered 1 through 7 are the profile buttons which behave exactly like they do in Blue Iris on the PC. If those buttons do not work (or if they do not appear in your iPad app) then you need to give Administrator permission to your Blue Iris user account.

Reaction score
What I find really interesting is that on the ios app the developer refers to them as "Schedules" while on the PC app he refers to them as "Profiles". That's what confused me.

fenderman

Staff member
Reaction score
What I find really interesting is that on the ios app the developer refers to them as "Schedules" while on the PC app he refers to them as "Profiles". That's what confused me.
Profiles and schedules are not the same...the schedule is referred to as "preset" in the pc server...

bp2008

Staff member
Reaction score
As I understand it, the schedule is what controls when certain presets are used. Like on my system I have the schedule set to turn on the day profile at sunrise and turn on the night profile at sunset.

fenderman

Staff member
Reaction score
As I understand it, the schedule is what controls when certain presets are used. Like on my system I have the schedule set to turn on the day profile at sunrise and turn on the night profile at sunset.
Yes and you can have multiple presets for the schedule...
So for example, you can have preset 1 where its "set to turn on the day profile at sunrise and turn on the night profile at sunset" Then have preset 2 where the same or other profiles are set to be active at various times...So in effect, you can have many the schedule/presets where you can vary when and if certain profiles are engaged...
For 99.9 percent of the setups you dont need more than one preset - just leave it at default...

Reaction score
So, I guess my point is valid, why call them presets in the PC version and Schedules in the ios app?

What would really work in the documentation is a few examples.

Btw, my situation is fairly simple. I have two cameras, one outside that I want motion detection on all the time and the other inside where I only want motion detection on when I am away. I solved this very simply by having one preset, the default and via the ios app I turn motion detection off while here and on when I am away. Very simple solution. No need to deal with presets or profiles etc. Something like that would be really good in the documentation.

fenderman

Staff member
Reaction score
So, I guess my point is valid, why call them presets in the PC version and Schedules in the ios app?

What would really work in the documentation is a few examples.

Btw, my situation is fairly simple. I have two cameras, one outside that I want motion detection on all the time and the other inside where I only want motion detection on when I am away. I solved this very simply by having one preset, the default and via the ios app I turn motion detection off while here and on when I am away. Very simple solution. No need to deal with presets or profiles etc. Something like that would be really good in the documentation.
Yes, I dont know why different names are used...
An alternative method is creating two profiles..in the second profile set the indoor camera to not record..then just change profiles...or use the geofence feature and have blue iris do it automatically.

Reaction score
Yes, I dont know why different names are used...
An alternative method is creating two profiles..in the second profile set the indoor camera to not record..then just change profiles...or use the geofence feature and have blue iris do it automatically.
Thanks for your time, Fenderman, I did what you said and created two profiles, one simply called "Detect Motion" and the other "Don't Detect Motion". So, when I am away I'll use the "Detect" profile, but when I am home I want to detect on the outside camera and not on the inside camera. I can set that from the PC app just fine, but from the ios app there is only one way to change profiles and that is for all cameras on the main/home page. There doesn't seem to be a way to change if for each camera.

fenderman

Staff member
Reaction score
Thanks for your time, Fenderman, I did what you said and created two profiles, one simply called "Detect Motion" and the other "Don't Detect Motion". So, when I am away I'll use the "Detect" profile, but when I am home I want to detect on the outside camera and not on the inside camera. I can set that from the PC app just fine, but from the ios app there is only one way to change profiles and that is for all cameras on the main/home page. There doesn't seem to be a way to change if for each camera.
Here is how to set it:
Go to the record tab of the inside camera...in the dropdown select "dont detect motion", then change video to only manual...
You can also go into the motion tab and in the dropdown select "dont detect motion", then uncheck motion detection..
This will only disable the motion detection during that profile..

Reaction score
Thanks, much appreciated. Here's what I did. I started from scratch and set up one preset called Default that has "motion detection" set to on, and "record on motion detection" and the schedule set for 24x7. On the ios app I then set the indoor camera to not detect motion. Then I can turn it on when away. That seemed like the simplest solution given that you can't select a preset for each camera in the ios app.

fenderman

Staff member
Reaction score
Thanks, much appreciated. Here's what I did. I started from scratch and set up one preset called Default that has "motion detection" set to on, and "record on motion detection" and the schedule set for 24x7. On the ios app I then set the indoor camera to not detect motion. Then I can turn it on when away. That seemed like the simplest solution given that you can't select a preset for each camera in the ios app.
While this method works its not optimal...basically you are not using the profiles or presets at all..
With the method i described above you can set the schedule to enable the away profile during the times when you are normally away..if you come home during an away time you can manually set the home profile...you can also determine the camera state by simply looking at the profile without having to go into the camera settings.