Can BlueIris be setup to record video only when the garage door is open ?

Reaction score
Hi,

I have a HikVision camera in the garage that sends its video feed over to Blue Iris.
I have a rather unique requirement, where I would like Blue iris to record video only when the garage door is open.

I have a z-wave sensor on my garage door, and use that sensor within Home Assistant, to notify me when the garage door opens or closes.

Is there any way I can integrate the two systems (maybe using an intermediary message bus like MQTT) so that I can change or trigger Blue iris to record the video feed from the camera, when the garage door opens ?

Thanks !

The Automation Guy

Known around here
Reaction score
This is definitely possible using MQTT. Here is the link for when it was added to the system. There is a list of commands in the BI Help documentation. You should review it for the exact syntax of the command you want to send.

I wasn't exactly sure what you wanted to accomplish. If you want to record continuously when the garage door is open, then you can simply send a record command for that particular camera and then another command to stop recording when the garage door closes. If you want to have the system to only record while the door is open, but still work off a trigger, then you could set a profile to do this. You can send the system a command to change to that profile anytime the garage door is open, and then another command to change to a different profile which would turn off the triggers (and therefore turn off recording) when the garage door is closed.