Cameras & DSC Security System

rfj

Pulling my weight
Reaction score
I am replacing an indoor motion sensor with a camera. The motion sensor is connected to a DSC PC1864 alarm system. Is there a way for me to tie the camera into the DSC system so it triggers when motion is detected?

Note, I am using Blue Iris and I can tie motion detected from BI into our home automation system. However, I think for DSC integration I need to have motion detection on the camera and then somehow physically tie that into DSC (I already have a 4 conductor cable for the motion sensor). I have some old HikVision cams that have additional connectors. Maybe that is what I need to use, though I plan to use a different cam than that old Hikvision.

actran

Getting comfortable
Reaction score
If your home automation system is Home Assistant, there is native integration to DSC via Envisalink

In my case, I have BI5 <-> MQTT <-> Home Assistant <-> DSC1832. This is a highly robust setup where HA can execute a number of actions based on a flexible combination of DSC sensors, BI5 AI events, time of day, etc...

rfj

Pulling my weight
Reaction score
I am using HomeSeer. So I could use BlueIris to trigger events/motion in HomeSeer to do things like lights/shades/etc. However, how do I integrate this into DSC so if there is motion, DSC sees it as a violated/open zone. I kind of prefer that motion detected by the camera is hardwired into the DSC system. Basically, the camera acts as a motion sensor to the DSC system. Video recording and reporting via BlueIris is just gravy.

tangent

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
Not without adding something that can pretend to be a wired sensor in the alarm system.

PIR motion sensors are going to be much more reliable. You're better off with a motion sensor and camera.

rfj

Pulling my weight
Reaction score
Attached is an image of my temporary Hikvision cam. It has one connector that is labeled "ALARM" with pins for In, G, Out, G. Could "Out", "G" be wired directly into the DSC system? Or how would that connector be used?

Attachments

tangent

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
Attached is an image of my temporary Hikvision cam. It has one connector that is labeled "ALARM" with pins for In, G, Out, G. Could "Out", "G" be wired directly into the DSC system? Or how would that connector be used?
Some cameras have 'dry contacts' for alarm cont. NVR's also often have an alarm out, they could trigger a siren or bell for example.
On NVRs the alarm out is often controlled by a relay, on cameras it's often transistor controlled. In either case, but especially the camera you often need to add your own relay.

The issue you'll run into is limitations in the camera firmware for how this actually works. For example it might only tied to motion events not other events and as a result changes in lighting could trigger your alarm system. If you do this, your monitoring company may not keep you as a customer.

Reactions: rfj

rfj

Pulling my weight
Reaction score
So I tried this on my new Dahua camera. When there is NO motion, the resistance on the alarm out is infinite. When the camera detects motion, then the resistance goes down to 2 Ohms. I am actually able to wire this directly into the DSC alarm panel via a 5.6kOhm resistor (as with all other zones). The problem is, that the logic is just inversed. Open/violated doors/windows have an infinite resistance and 5.6kOhm when they are closed. So I end up with the camera showing a violation when there is no motion and no violation when there is motion. I tried to find some setting in the camera to reverse that but couldn't find anything. Is this possible or do I have to use external circuitry to change the behavior?

tangent

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
So I tried this on my new Dahua camera. When there is NO motion, the resistance on the alarm out is infinite. When the camera detects motion, then the resistance goes down to 2 Ohms. I am actually able to wire this directly into the DSC alarm panel via a 5.6kOhm resistor (as with all other zones). The problem is, that the logic is just inversed. Open/violated doors/windows have an infinite resistance and 5.6kOhm when they are closed. So I end up with the camera showing a violation when there is no motion and no violation when there is motion. I tried to find some setting in the camera to reverse that but couldn't find anything. Is this possible or do I have to use external circuitry to change the behavior?
I still wouldn't recommend it especially on a monitored alarm system.

Acquaint yourself with the differences in the wiring and programming (in alarm panel) of normally open and normally closed zones. Understanding the concept of a pull up / pull down resistor could also be helpful. There may also be a setting in the camera that defines NO/NC behavior.