Cameras at multiple DSL connections

Reaction score
Hi All,
I must just be looking in the wrong place to figure out how to do this. My apologies if I am missing the forest for the trees.

I have two locations some distance apart that have DSL connections and IP cameras at each. My BI computer is at one and I want to view the cameras at the other location on the same screen that my BI computer displays my local cameras.

I thought having the same subnet address and assigning the camera IP would do the trick, but obviously, I am missing something.

The remote DSL modem has a different IP address and I would think I have to let BI know about it, but I am not sure where... the camera configuration, I would expect, but it is not obvious to me.

I cannot access the cameras at the remote location under any circumstances.

These cameras are for security, so I would prefer them not easily accessible by just anybody, if I eventually figure out how to view them myself (with help from the forum folk, I hope).

Suggestions or comments would be most welcome.
thanks!

fenderman

Staff member
Reaction score
@valleyforge Is there another BI machine at the remote location?
If not you will have to port forward the cameras (correct ports depending on vendor) then use the remote ipaddress and port in blue iris.

Reaction score
I intend to only have a BI computer at the remote location when I am configuring it.

From what you have provided and what I have found out by clicking the Globe icon in BI, it seems a bit complicated, but that is not unexpected.

I am trying to make a step by step list of what I have to do. It looks like I will have to...
1. Take my portable computer running BI to the remote location.
2. Connect the IP camera to the remote location DSL modem/router.
3. Fire up BI and set my IP camera port from 80 to something like 8081 in the IP camera configuration within BI in the camera configuration settings.
4. Save the camera IP configuration.
5. Using the Globe icon in BI to port forward the camera (IP address?).
6. Shut down my portable computer.
7. Return to my base, fire up BI on my main computer and using the Globe icon to access the remote camera IP address and the port address, like 8081.
8. Try to connect to the remote camera.

I think I left out some probably critical information in those steps. Am I close?
thanks,

fenderman

Staff member
Reaction score
Sorry but not even close.
BI does not configure or change any settings in the cameras. There is not reason to take the BI machine to the remote location (unless you simple need a pc there because there is no other to use).
You will have to login to the router at the remote location and setup port forwarding. Generally blue iris only needs the rtsp port, so that is the port you will forward for each camera...you will need to setup a distinct external port for each.
Also keep in mind that if you plan to stream the remote feed 24/7 to the blue iris machine it will consume lots of bandwidth.

critterles

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
At the remote site go to "what is my IP" and find the IP address of your router. Also find the internal IP address of your cam with IPCam Tool. Then as fenderman said port forward
the cam in your router. I just went through this myself. Do you have static or dynamic IP's? Dynamic change periodically and can mess everything up.