Camera system needed for church -With audio

Mike70

n3wb
Reaction score
I am in need of a camera system for my church. The budget is around $600. I am having trouble finding a system that includes cameras with audio. I found this system today from Samsung - SDH-C5100. Sams Club has it for $589. The DVR has 4 audio inputs, but none of the 10 cameras have microphones. I like the 16 channels for future expansion. At this time I am looking at 5 outdoor cameras, and up to 4 indoor cameras. The 4 indoor are the ones that need microphones.

Does anyone have any input on this system, or something comparable? I would prefer something that has a warranty, and is returnable.

I have also been looking at POE systems and could make my own cables, but it seems most of the ready systems are coax with BNC connectors. Is audio possible over Cat5 cable?

I know this is not a high quality system, but I have to work within the budget.

Thanks for any and all recommendations!

Mike

fenderman

Staff member
Reaction score
I am in need of a camera system for my church. The budget is around $600. I am having trouble finding a system that includes cameras with audio. I found this system today from Samsung - SDH-C5100. Sams Club has it for $589. The DVR has 4 audio inputs, but none of the 10 cameras have microphones. I like the 16 channels for future expansion. At this time I am looking at 5 outdoor cameras, and up to 4 indoor cameras. The 4 indoor are the ones that need microphones.

Does anyone have any input on this system, or something comparable? I would prefer something that has a warranty, and is returnable.

I have also been looking at POE systems and could make my own cables, but it seems most of the ready systems are coax with BNC connectors. Is audio possible over Cat5 cable?

I know this is not a high quality system, but I have to work within the budget.

Thanks for any and all recommendations!

Mike
Welcome to the forum, there are plenty of ready made poe systems. Is there a specific reason you need audio? Recording audio may not be legal in your state.

Mike70

n3wb
Reaction score
Yes, there are currently some safety concerns that would be eased by video and audio recordings. There will be signs displayed, as well as verbal warnings that recording is taking place.

Thanks for the welcome! I have been reading here a lot, and sometimes I get overwhelmed with information. I am very new at this, obviously.

Can audio be placed on Cat5 with video and power? Any recommendations for DVR and cameras?

fenderman

Staff member
Reaction score
Yes, there are currently some safety concerns that would be eased by video and audio recordings. There will be signs displayed, as well as verbal warnings that recording is taking place.

Thanks for the welcome! I have been reading here a lot, and sometimes I get overwhelmed with information. I am very new at this, obviously.

Can audio be placed on Cat5 with video and power? Any recommendations for DVR and cameras?
Yes, if you use an ip system, if the camera has audio capability (most still require you to add a mic ) the audio is carried in the digital stream over ethernet. Problem is that most of the prepackaged IP systems dont have cameras with audio in capabilities. Some have a single audio input though but you would have to run it directly back to the NVR.

Mike70

n3wb
Reaction score
So the camera would have an input for a separate mic? Or run the mic output directly to the DVR? I have found several DVRs that have a single audio input. We will probably need more than one. The Samsung above has 4, but according to Samsung, they do not have any cameras with audio capability. I guess I will be looking at a DVR with x number of cameras, and buy separate ones with audio. Or just buy them all separate? I was hoping to get a prepackaged system that would be easy to set up.

Is it better to have poe from the DVR, or use power injectors? Or does it matter? I have noticed that some of the 16 channel DVRs will only have 4 or 8 ports that supply poe.

Thank you very much for taking the time to answer my questions!

fenderman

Staff member
Reaction score
So the camera would have an input for a separate mic? Or run the mic output directly to the DVR? I have found several DVRs that have a single audio input. We will probably need more than one. The Samsung above has 4, but according to Samsung, they do not have any cameras with audio capability. I guess I will be looking at a DVR with x number of cameras, and buy separate ones with audio. Or just buy them all separate? I was hoping to get a prepackaged system that would be easy to set up.

Is it better to have poe from the DVR, or use power injectors? Or does it matter? I have noticed that some of the 16 channel DVRs will only have 4 or 8 ports that supply poe.

Thank you very much for taking the time to answer my questions!
Yes the camera would have a mic input. Some cams can use passive mics (hikvision) some need active mics (you will have to run power to the mic)..A few cameras have mics built in like the hikvision mini domes but they have weak IR.
POE cameras can be powered by the NVR if available or via POE switches. A poe switch that can power 4 cams is only 45 dollars. This allows you to wire the cameras in a fashion that does not require a home run to the NVR.

Mike70

n3wb
Reaction score
That's interesting with the switch. We could then wire 4 cameras in the attic, and then just run one cable to the DVR. The DVR software would still take up 4 channels for these, even though only one port is physically being used? That could save a lot of cable!

fenderman

Staff member
Reaction score
That's interesting with the switch. We could then wire 4 cameras in the attic, and then just run one cable to the DVR. The DVR software would still take up 4 channels for these, even though only one port is physically being used? That could save a lot of cable!
Yes. The channel limitation exists regardless of source. Cable is cheap, its not about saving cable but rather making the install easier. You dont even have to run anything back to the NVR if you have a network connection closer to the switch.

Mike70

n3wb
Reaction score
What do you think about this (with a suitable HD)? On Amazon. [h=1]Vigilant SecuLink 16 Channel, 1080P Network Video Recorder NVR (PPS-NVR5116S)[/h]

fenderman

Staff member
Reaction score
What do you think about this (with a suitable HD)? On Amazon. Vigilant SecuLink 16 Channel, 1080P Network Video Recorder NVR (PPS-NVR5116S)
Rule number 1...dont buy no name cheap junk off amazon...you will regret it.

Mike70

n3wb
Reaction score
I knew it was too good to be true. Where should I look besides amazon?