camera setup for billiard table video recording

maderu

n3wb
Reaction score
I am experimenting with a web streaming system, where a camera records and sends a video stream via ip to a server, which then segments it, stores it and makes it available on a website. The use case is similar to that of video surveillance systems, with some very different requirements, in particular I would like to record games played on pool tables in a hall, so I need:
  • good sensitivity: the environment is dimly lit
  • good resolution, I'd say at least 1080p
  • minimal distortion: the trajectory of the cue ball is usually straight, same for the table rails, and that is how it should appear in the recorded video

The last requirement cuts out the vast majority of ip-cams, which usually have very small focal lengths (fisheye) to maximize the captured area. Once the video streams are obtained, an SBC (say: a raspberry PI) contains all the logic to handle the videos and send them to the streaming platform: I have already done some encouraging tests on this, and this is the part I am least concerned about. How would you guys deal with the video shooting problem? Do you know some IP camera with removable lens that produces a h.264 (or better: h.265) stream, ONVIF compliant, better if POE, fullhd or (better) 4K capable? I was considering Revotech CCTV H.265 I712-2-P-FHW, one of the few with a 22mm focal length and a reasonable price. Is this approach reasonable? If so: do you have some suggestion about ip camera choice? If not... I'm hearing :)

mat200

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
I am experimenting with a web streaming system, where a camera records and sends a video stream via ip to a server, which then segments it, stores it and makes it available on a website. The use case is similar to that of video surveillance systems, with some very different requirements, in particular I would like to record games played on pool tables in a hall, so I need:
  • good sensitivity: the environment is dimly lit
  • good resolution, I'd say at least 1080p
  • minimal distortion: the trajectory of the cue ball is usually straight, same for the table rails, and that is how it should appear in the recorded video

The last requirement cuts out the vast majority of ip-cams, which usually have very small focal lengths (fisheye) to maximize the captured area. Once the video streams are obtained, an SBC (say: a raspberry PI) contains all the logic to handle the videos and send them to the streaming platform: I have already done some encouraging tests on this, and this is the part I am least concerned about. How would you guys deal with the video shooting problem? Do you know some IP camera with removable lens that produces a h.264 (or better: h.265) stream, ONVIF compliant, better if POE, fullhd or (better) 4K capable? I was considering Revotech CCTV H.265 I712-2-P-FHW, one of the few with a 22mm focal length and a reasonable price. Is this approach reasonable? If so: do you have some suggestion about ip camera choice? If not... I'm hearing :)
Welcome @maderu

This is what I found when I searched for the model you noted.

As this has a 1/3" sensor, I would look for a camera that has a larger sensor if you need good low light performance.

Also, as you are shooting a pool table, I would look for a camera that can at least handle 30fps ..

1708188609336.png

maderu

n3wb
Reaction score
What kind of budget are you looking for?
My project is still in a "proof of concept" stage, but let's say: max 300 euro for each camera

EDIT: during my searches for example I stumbled upon AIDA products, that seems to fit my requirements, for example: AIDA HD-NDI-200, but the price is about 500€ (lens excluded!), I hope I could find something just a little less "high end" for about half of this price

Last edited: