Camera Purchase Help

RJC2755

n3wb
Reaction score
Hello, I am looking for a camera that has at least 15x zoom and 60 FPS. I understand that 60 FPS is something that is met with a "you don't need 60 FPS" response, but our use case is very unique and it is one of the important pieces to what we are looking for. I have found some of these through a distributor, but the price tag obviously goes north of $2500 when we are looking at those parameters.

I'm not holding my breath, but does anyone know of a camera that meets the above? Thanks so much in advance!

wittaj

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
These types of cameras are not GoPro or Hollywood type cameras that offer slow-mo capabilities and other features. They "offer" 30FPS and 60FPS to appease the general public that thinks that is what they need, but you will not find many of us here running more than 15 FPS; and movies are shot at 24 FPS, so anything above that is a waste of storage space for what these cameras are used for.

If your unique case requires that type of FPS, you will find surveillance cameras are not going to meet your needs and you need to get a camera capable of that - and it sounds like that is upwards of $2,500 based on your research.

Plus 15x zoom doesn't mean anything. The zoom is based on the starting focal point of the camera, so a 15x zoom on a 2.8mm camera is much different than a 15x zoom that starts on a 7mm camera.

We have had recently people come here after purchasing cameras in two instances - one was a tennis club and another was a youth soccer club. In both cases they found that these types of cameras were not capable of what they were wanting to do. Sure the cameras could run faster FPS, but it still didn't provide them with the level of detail they were looking for. I recall the soccer club had a decent quality PTZ that is fine for a residential or retail/commercial installation, but to cover the action of the soccer field it wasn't capable of meeting their needs. And because of the extremely fast motion, it was creating a halo type effect around the action (which can be seen in certain lighting conditions).

These cameras are good, but not good enough to catch the rotation of a ball for example.