Camera, PoE & Networking

Reaction score
Good day,

Hope you are doing well.

We intend to install a new NVR and Camera system at our Office.

I just need some confirmation on the following please:

The NVR will not have built-in PoE support. Only a LAN port.

The IP Cameras will be connected to a PoE switch on the same network.

Could you please confirm if the NVR will work as required? As far as my understanding goes, the cameras are assigned an IP address and will utilise a channel on the NVR.

So we don't need to purchase an NVR with built-in PoE, a standard NVR will suffice?

Thank you for your time and assistance.
Hope you have a great week ahead.

wittaj

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
Two options.

If you plug in the cameras in the back of the NVR that has built-in POE and you plug them in one at a time waiting until one camera is found before plugging in the next one, it will assign an IP address to it.

If you go the non-POE NVR and use a POE switch, you need to hook the POE switch to the WAN/LAN port of the NVR. In this case you will have to assign an IP address to each camera in the camera GUI and then manually add them in to the NVR. It will not assign an IP address or automatically populate them into the NVR going this route.

Reaction score
Two options.

If you plug in the cameras in the back of the NVR that has built-in POE and you plug them in one at a time waiting until one camera is found before plugging in the next one, it will assign an IP address to it.

If you go the non-POE NVR and use a POE switch, you need to hook the POE switch to the WAN/LAN port of the NVR. In this case you will have to assign an IP address to each camera in the camera GUI and then manually add them in to the NVR. It will not assign an IP address or automatically populate them into the NVR going this route.
Thank you wittaj for confirming. That sounds perfect.

I'd rather do a manual setup and save on costs. The specific NVR with PoE support is priced twice as much as the non-PoE edition. I'm looking at a UNV NVR and UNV Camera solution.

I appreciate your assistance.