camera only seen through wifi

Sedonah

n3wb
Reaction score
I have two identical ip-cameras, both running through the v380pro android app, Both are connected via LAN to the router, their settings are identical, their ips are pretty similar and the router doesn't have any forwarding or blocking rules defined for any of their ips or macs..
When my phone is on the router's wifi, then everything is fine and i can watch both cams. However when my phone is on 4G (or another wifi network), camera A seems fine while camera B seems not connected,

Edit - in fact when my phone on the same router's wifi, sometimes everything is fine but sometimes i get only camera A, same as happens on 4G.

Any ideas on what this could be?

mat200

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
I have two identical ip-cameras, both running through the v380pro android app, Both are connected via LAN to the router, their settings are identical, their ips are pretty similar and the router doesn't have any forwarding or blocking rules defined for any of their ips or macs..
When my phone is on the router's wifi, then everything is fine and i can watch both cams. However when my phone is on 4G (or another wifi network), camera A seems fine while camera B seems not connected,

Edit - in fact when my phone on the same router's wifi, sometimes everything is fine but sometimes i get only camera A, same as happens on 4G.

Any ideas on what this could be?
Hi @Sedonah

Please do share more information on the cameras and network setup.

In general, exposing IoT devices to the internet will result in a breech of your network eventually. Thus we highly recommend using a VPN.

Sedonah

n3wb
Reaction score
Hi,
My network config is Modem connected to Tp-link router. A TP-Link hub is connected via cable to the router and both cameras connect via cable to the hub.

IP provided by DHCP. I changed it on the router to a static IP, but this didn't change a thing.
There are no QoS, routing, forwarding etc. rules. I have 100mbps internet so it should handle the cameras.

I use V380Pro to view the cameras. One camera is fine, the other can only be seen through LAN.
(a third camera, connected to the router via wifi - is also fine)

No VPN used.

1. Any ideas on what it could be?
  2. Completely different topic - regarding VPN - what I understand is that IP cameras punch loopholes in my firewall to connect to their server (V380Pro in this case), and since they are of various origins and possibly outdated firmware, these can be used to breach my network and get to my other devices (desktop, other cams etc). Is this correct? If so, does VPN solve it and wouldn't it slow down my U/L and D/L speed? If i start using VPN, should i also change passwords on all devices, wifi etc?
  3. Love your signature. I often use 3 of them myself

jwadsley

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
UPnP is a bad deal. I turned mine off.

If you don't have any port forwarding rules then you wont see the camera's outside of the network, unless you are using a VPN back to your network...