California Legacy Plates (1960s) are not reflective?

Reaction score
I've recently gotten a new car and decided to get a Ca Legacy black for it. The Black background with Yellow Numbers.
I've just noticed that my plates do not show up on my LPR in the dark.
This image is me (yellow) pulling out of my driveway into the street and you can see my rear lights and the month and year tags on the license plate (blue), but the plate itself is not showing.
LPR West 2023-01-30 04.52.56.809 AM.jpg

LPR West 2023-01-30 07.32.19.242 AM.jpg
Attached a daytime car just to show how the other car is situated.
Cam: IPC-HFW5241E-Z12E on Blue Iris

Did I just accidentally get non-coated plates? Or are they not making it correctly? I don't notice any other cars having black and yellow plates driving through my street. Trying to see if anybody else has trouble seeing these.

Last edited:

wittaj

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
I suspect it is the new 3M printed plate that is messing up LPR all across the country for the homeowner and police:

Reaction score
Hmm... Decided to look at the backyard camera which has basically stock settings (I park in the back of the RV access) and it reflects the front plate just fine when its on auto night mode. Will have to do some tests later on tonight/tomorrow morning.

Reaction score
I suspect it is the new 3M printed plate that is messing up LPR all across the country for the homeowner and police:

Just read through the thread.
This California plate is actually still stamped.
Weirdly enough, the plate just seems really sensitive to the angle and distance which the IR hits it.
LPR East 2023-01-24 10.34.28.903 PM.jpg
This is my other LPR cam that faces the other side of the street. This is with my car parked on the street. You can still see the reflective tags in the blue. Its at about a 60degree angle. Yes I know its bad but don't really have an option for the angle.

LPR East 2023-01-30 05.57.03.801 PM.jpg
This is with me just holding the plates towards the camera. Still not as reflective and forgiving as a white plate.

LPR East 2023-01-30 06.07.47.654 PM.jpg
Example of what I can usually get with a normal white plate driving through.

I may just have to mess with remounting the camera to get better IR view or adding on a separate IR light.
Still seems to be much better than the mess you guys are having to deal with there in TN.

chads100

n3wb
Reaction score
I have still not had any luck with the TN plate by 3M. I have tried a several things, I hope someone figures out what works. It is very frustrating.