Buying quality cameras makes a difference.

nayr

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
or you leave the fob in your pocket and the button gets pressed accidentally at some point.
hah yeah, one car down the street for 3 nights in a row I noticed all night long it was randomly flashing its lights, sometimes several times in a row but no pattern.. on the last night I left a note on the window saying "I think you lost a keyfob in your bed, your flashers been going off randomly all night", I stood there at the car and heard it locking, lights flashing, over and over as I was putting the note on.. the next night I noticed the problem had been resolved ;)

randytsuch

Pulling my weight
Reaction score
Our cars are in our garage, so when we are at home its not a problem.

So Nayr, there was no rhythmic pattern to the lights? :D

nayr

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
nope that was my first thought; if that was the cause they had to of been athletes to keep at it all night long like that..

Fastb

Known around here
Reaction score
nayr,

instead of an air pump to press the "lock" button on keyfob, you might consider an doorbell. The solenoid that strikes the chime (bell) could press the fob button. 12V to 24V operation.

nayr

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
too much variation in fob types.. plus tha'd wear on the fob and there not cheap to replace.

ive been toying around with a few ideas for a while; solenoid was the first thought.. but it needs to be adaptable to a market full of fobtypes.. pneumatics seem to be the easiest to adapt and you could put a couple fobs in there next to eachother.

plus I dont want much metallics in it to screw with the RF

jasauders

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
Here's a video from last fall, when some guys were going through cars in the neighborhood. The police finally identified the guys in the video and just last week, I received my court summons to help prosecute these fine upstanding citizens. They will more than likely get off with a warning or probation, but I'm going to do my part and take off work to make sure it's on their records
I had a similar situation a year or two ago. It didn't dawn on me until I went to leave for work and saw my center console was open. I never use my center console, so it struck me as odd. When I reviewed the feeds I caught them in the act so I called the cops. The police told me that "several dozen" people have called so far, yet I was the only one who said they had video footage. Working on IT has its bonuses: I hosted them on my web server and the officer was viewing them during our phone conversation.

I never did get a follow up from the cops or any sort of court order. I did however see in the paper a few weeks later that "two charged with searching over 110 unlocked cars in x-area". Part of me was kind of bummed in a weird way, but hey, cops got 'em based on the footage alone. I suppose it helps they were repeat offenders and the cop I called happened to be the one that arrested them twice prior for the same damn thing... they had only been out for 3 weeks when this happened. heh...

gamer4life

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
I had a similar situation a year or two ago. It didn't dawn on me until I went to leave for work and saw my center console was open. I never use my center console, so it struck me as odd. When I reviewed the feeds I caught them in the act so I called the cops. The police told me that "several dozen" people have called so far, yet I was the only one who said they had video footage. Working on IT has its bonuses: I hosted them on my web server and the officer was viewing them during our phone conversation.

I never did get a follow up from the cops or any sort of court order. I did however see in the paper a few weeks later that "two charged with searching over 110 unlocked cars in x-area". Part of me was kind of bummed in a weird way, but hey, cops got 'em based on the footage alone. I suppose it helps they were repeat offenders and the cop I called happened to be the one that arrested them twice prior for the same damn thing... they had only been out for 3 weeks when this happened. heh...
Basically identical story.... One of the guys actually caved in and showed the cops every car that they went into. Video evidence was a plus and helped identify the two guys.

hmjgriffon

Known around here
Reaction score

Too bad this isn't texas.