Buying bulk cable: where and what brands?

Moonville

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
I need some general purpose 22 gauge 4 conductor stranded unshielded cable, probably 500 feet. It doesn't need to be plenum or riser and I don't want CCA.

Quality like Belden is not necessary but I also don't want real cheap stuff that is hard to work with or may not really be 22 gauge. Are there some middle-of-the-road brands you can recommend?

As far as where to buy, I know a lot of people here like Monoprice but they don't have what I want in stock. Other decent sellers?

Teken

Known around here
Reaction score
I need some general purpose 22 gauge 4 conductor stranded unshielded cable, probably 500 feet. It doesn't need to be plenum or riser and I don't want CCA.

Quality like Belden is not necessary but I also don't want real cheap stuff that is hard to work with or may not really be 22 gauge. Are there some middle-of-the-road brands you can recommend?

As far as where to buy, I know a lot of people here like Monoprice but they don't have what I want in stock. Other decent sellers?
What is the use case for this cable as this will dictate the type of cable. Indoor vs outdoor makes a huge difference. Installed in the wall this again dictates a spec wire that is NEC / CEC UL - cUL approved.

22-4 alarm (hook up) wire is plentiful and is in wall rated. You will not see 22-4 Ethernet cable that isn’t CAT-8 rated assuming it’s real but you can’t afford 500 feet of that.

Moonville

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
What is the use case for this cable as this will dictate the type of cable. Indoor vs outdoor makes a huge difference.
It will be used as hook up wire and for alarm work, indoor only and some in-wall use.

22-4 alarm (hook up) wire is plentiful and is in wall rated.
Since I don't need (and don't want to pay for) the best stuff and don't want really cheap quality, I was wondering what brands would fall into that in-between range if there is such a thing.

Teken

Known around here
Reaction score
As an Amazon Associate IPCamTalk earns from qualifying purchases.

mat200

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
FYI - sometimes I have found good deals locally on left over cable from installers on craiglist .. note, you do have to pay attention as there will be CCA cheaper cables also sold there ..

mcapeed

Getting comfortable
Reaction score
Home Depot caries a decent variety! I bought my cat 6 Smithwire cable there and prices were competitive last December. May be a different story now but worth checking. Had it in stock too so no shipping or waiting.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk