Built Vs Bought

burtonvdp

n3wb
Reaction score
I'm very new to IP Cameras but not so new to computers. Let me start out with my situation and go from there:

Home Install -

Already have:
8 port PoE Tough Switch from Ubiquiti ( They make some nice WiFi stuff too)
1 Hikvision Bullet/Dome Camera

What I want it to do:
Max of 5 Cameras 3mp (Hikvision) ; Probably more like 3.....
Remote access via Android, iPhone, and Windows Based machines (Maybe playback as well?)
Record on all channels
Ease of use (I need it as polished as possible for access via apps)
7 to 10 days of play back

So that being said will a Hikvision NVR work ok?
What are the advantages of building your own NVR?
Which software should I use given the remote access and app access is very important?

I've been doing some reading and so far given the hardware requirements it seems like a pretty pricey venture to build my own vs getting one. Does a NVR box not fore fill my "Wants" section? Do you have any recommendations?

Thanks!

networkcameracritic

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
Figure an 8 channel Hikvision NVR will set you back about $450ish with a 1TB drive, already has a PoE switch built in, so you can sell the ToughSwitch to help pay for it (not PoE 802.3AF compatible anyway) or you can use an old PC and start using the free Hikvision iVMS4300 PCNVR, or get BlueIris for under $40, both have smartphone apps for IOS and Android

burtonvdp

n3wb
Reaction score
Figure an 8 channel Hikvision NVR will set you back about $450ish with a 1TB drive, already has a PoE switch built in, so you can sell the ToughSwitch to help pay for it (not PoE 802.3AF compatible anyway) or you can use an old PC and start using the free Hikvision iVMS4300 PCNVR, or get BlueIris for under $40, both have smartphone apps for IOS and Android

Thanks for the advice! I've been trying to work with blue iris but it is very demanding as I only have the 1 camera right now and its already pegging out a 2.8ghz dual core processor. I think I will try the hikvision software and see what happens.

icerabbit

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
For reference. iVMS sounds lighter weight than blueiris and others. Just started testing it yesterday. iVMS was pegging my tester pc core 2 quad 6600 6GB ram etc at 60% minimum in live view with 4-up of 3mp hikvisions all set to 1920x1080. The same seems to take 10% cpu this morning on a quad core i7. iVMS using 350MB RAM svchost I think associated with it another 200MB. Total RAM use for windows 26% of 12GB.

burtonvdp

n3wb
Reaction score
For reference. iVMS sounds lighter weight than blueiris and others. Just started testing it yesterday. iVMS was pegging my tester pc core 2 quad 6600 6GB ram etc at 60% minimum in live view with 4-up of 3mp hikvisions all set to 1920x1080. The same seems to take 10% cpu this morning on a quad core i7. iVMS using 350MB RAM svchost I think associated with it another 200MB. Total RAM use for windows 26% of 12GB.

After getting down the lingo and files I needed to install I have been using iVMS for the past week. I like it other than the playback options seem to be a bit cumbersome (No easy to use drag bar for time to play) and I have not figured out how the disk full / record over will work since it formatted the entire drive and I cannot see what it is actually using. I'm assuming it will write over the oldest video to make room but I have not had time to mess with it.

Given my experience so far though I am temped to just go with a bought NVR.... Playing with the software and learning the ins and outs are great but I need to make sure I have something that is working. when it comes down to it. I really don't have time to babysit another server. But we will see....

burtonvdp

n3wb
Reaction score
After a long process of messing with machines and looking for the perfect balance of recording and power usage... I ended up going with a Hikvision NVR. So far I'm happy with the decision and had little to no trouble setting it up. It was model DS-7608-SE/8P and I got it from amazon. I need to learn a few things still but so far so good.