brand new 2332 *BLINKING* problems in IR mode help

fenderman

Staff member
Reaction score
post an image of how the camera is mounted.

mkkoskin

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
That could also be caused by heavy encoding. It looks like the blinking might happen on keyframes. You could try tweaking the GOP value from encoding settings (might be called something else, dont have a hikvision camera at my desk atm to confirm) to see if the blinking slows down or speeds up. If my theory is correct, lower GOP value would speed the blinking up.

If it is related to keyframes, I have no idea whats causing it.. Maybe camera draws more power when it encodes a keyframe and the lights get brighter? I also assume you don't have as much noise on the image when it's inside, so this would make the encoding lighter with less power..

I've not seen identical problem, but noticed pulsation on keyframes a lot with low bandwidth/bitrates.

Razer

Pulling my weight
Reaction score
Is smart IR enabled? What are the other settings - maybe slow down the shutter speed, lower the gain somewhat from 100, say 92, no WDR, and full 100 on noise reduction. See what it looks like then.

Could also disable IR and see what it does with other lighting, help decide if the IR is actually the culprit or if the camera reacts the same way to any lighting at all in night mode. What firmware on the cameras?

Agree I first thought of keyframes too, maybe adjust them to see if the timing changes of the blinks. Set it to 1 and see what you get.

awlectric

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
Is smart IR enabled? What are the other settings - maybe slow down the shutter speed, lower the gain somewhat from 100, say 92, no WDR, and full 100 on noise reduction. See what it looks like then.

Could also disable IR and see what it does with other lighting, help decide if the IR is actually the culprit or if the camera reacts the same way to any lighting at all in night mode. What firmware on the cameras?

Agree I first thought of keyframes too, maybe adjust them to see if the timing changes of the blinks. Set it to 1 and see what you get.
Please keep the suggestions coming.

When I have DNR off it really gets blinking. I have dnr set to 100 ,smart ir is on.no wdr,15 fps 2048 bitrate on all ( changing this wont help) Brightness and all those in the middle position, 1920 1080, firmware cam 1 v5.02 130805 cam 2 v5 .2.0 build 140721 cam 3 v5 1.2 build 140116 WB AWB1 (changing this wont fix) exposure 1/30. ( fiddling with this makes image darker) WDR always off ....(day night AUTO) .....messing with backlight comp dosent change,,,,,

bp2008

Staff member
Reaction score
That could also be caused by heavy encoding. It looks like the blinking might happen on keyframes. You could try tweaking the GOP value from encoding settings (might be called something else, dont have a hikvision camera at my desk atm to confirm) to see if the blinking slows down or speeds up. If my theory is correct, lower GOP value would speed the blinking up.

If it is related to keyframes, I have no idea whats causing it.. Maybe camera draws more power when it encodes a keyframe and the lights get brighter? I also assume you don't have as much noise on the image when it's inside, so this would make the encoding lighter with less power..

I've not seen identical problem, but noticed pulsation on keyframes a lot with low bandwidth/bitrates.
That is what I thought too. By the way I think Hikvision calls it "I-frame interval" or at least something with "i-frame" in the name. It is on the video encoding page where you set the bit rate. Too low of a bit rate will cause a visible, instantaneous quality change every time a keyframe (a.k.a. i-frame) is decoded. I'd definitely change the i-frame interval and see if the blink interval changes to match.

I didn't see if the cameras were tried on short cables in order to verify that the voltage drop from the longer cable isn't causing this in some way. That would also be an important diagnostic step.

bp2008

Staff member
Reaction score
Oh, also, have you gone outside to look at the IR LEDs? Maybe you can see them briefly dimming which would confirm it is in fact a loss of lighting causing the blink.

awlectric

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
That is what I thought too. By the way I think Hikvision calls it "I-frame interval" or at least something with "i-frame" in the name. It is on the video encoding page where you set the bit rate. Too low of a bit rate will cause a visible, instantaneous quality change every time a keyframe (a.k.a. i-frame) is decoded. I'd definitely change the i-frame interval and see if the blink interval changes to match.

I didn't see if the cameras were tried on short cables in order to verify that the voltage drop from the longer cable isn't causing this in some way. That would also be an important diagnostic step.
I am running a brand spankin new hik 7716 nvr with 4tb hard drive. There is a drop down box under "exposure" and the is exposure time , is that what you mean? Like 1/30 etc? Also what bit rate should I put it on? There are several places to change bitrate, should I just change them all to match? Sorry about the newb status, im a newb lol!

awlectric

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
Oh, also, have you gone outside to look at the IR LEDs? Maybe you can see them briefly dimming which would confirm it is in fact a loss of lighting causing the blink.
Wow, that sounds like a plan, great idea! I will do this tonight!

Razer

Pulling my weight
Reaction score
The setting is in the photo I'm attaching, called the I Frame Interval. I usually set mine lower as fron the factory 50 seems to be the default and I can see the change. Usually for me I set to 8, but I'm running at 8fps so I just match them. I have others set to 1 and like it best. I would change this to 1 and see what you get as a test, then try like 200 and see if it changes the timing of this event you are seeing.

I would switch smart IR off also as a test, it may cause more harm than good at least while testing. You are also running a pretty low bitrate - for better night images as a test tonight you might up them as some noise at night can be from too low a bitrate at times. I'd also set the shutter to 1/5 and see what it looks like, then move up to see the differences in the darkness.

Attachments

awlectric

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
The setting is in the photo I'm attaching, called the I Frame Interval. I usually set mine lower as fron the factory 50 seems to be the default and I can see the change. Usually for me I set to 8, but I'm running at 8fps so I just match them. I have others set to 1 and like it best. I would change this to 1 and see what you get as a test, then try like 200 and see if it changes the timing of this event you are seeing.

I would switch smart IR off also as a test, it may cause more harm than good at least while testing. You are also running a pretty low bitrate - for better night images as a test tonight you might up them as some noise at night can be from too low a bitrate at times. I'd also set the shutter to 1/5 and see what it looks like, then move up to see the differences in the darkness.

Razor----
I cant beleive it worked!I followed these settings ,, No more weird blinking! Ty very much everyone! I was going insane lol. Image is a little choppy but, oh whell. !!!

fenderman

Staff member
Reaction score
Razor----
I cant beleive it worked!I followed these settings ,, No more weird blinking! Ty very much everyone! I was going insane lol. Image is a little choppy but, oh whell. !!!
If you video is "choppy" because of the low frame rate, you can increase the frame rate to 15-20 fps, just match the i-frame interval to the frame rate and you should be ok.

Razer

Pulling my weight
Reaction score
Razor----

I'm so glad it worked for you! If 8fps is too slow move up as desired, I record 10-30 3mp cameras at locations at times so I slow down the frame rate so as to be able to afford all the storage I need! :laugh:

You at least have settings you know work now so you can always go back to them as needed, once you are over the frustration they initially caused you you can experiment more. Move the iframe to 1 and FPS to 20 and see if that still works. Then try 20 and 20. Still glad we were able to help you out!

msqr

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
Sorry to bump this old thread, my 2142s are also having this issue. Both during the day and night it "flashes". I've tried turning off WDR, Smart IR, tried reducing I Frame interval from 50 to 8, and no dice...

Edit: Wow, changing the video from 50Hz to 60Hz fixed it! Strange, because even my 2132s are set to 50Hz and don't have any issue.

Last edited by a moderator:

Del Boy

Getting comfortable
Reaction score
Sorry to bump this old thread, my 2142s are also having this issue. Both during the day and night it "flashes". I've tried turning off WDR, Smart IR, tried reducing I Frame interval from 50 to 8, and no dice...

Edit: Wow, changing the video from 50Hz to 60Hz fixed it! Strange, because even my 2132s are set to 50Hz and don't have any issue.
It's a different issue than what's in this thread but good to know 60Hz fixed it, although I think it might be coincidence.