Bought an NVR without POE by mistake (NVR4208-4K), what should I do?

Reaction score
I didn't read carefully enough the description, and there was no option on aliexpress for a POE or no POE version, just the number of camera and the description mentioned the POE function, so I assumed that it would be present, albeit incorrectly.
Is there an additional module I could buy to transform it into the POE version? Or should I send it back (and loose the expensive shipping...)? Or maybe get an external POE switch?

There is also just one Ethernet port, so I assume it's to be connected to a 8 port switch in order to connect it to the cameras and to my network, is this correct?

eddiequeue

n3wb
Reaction score
That suggest above will work - you might want to quickly run the math on how many cameras, their resolution and then double check the speed of the ports on your NVR. If they are 100Mbit you might have a bottleneck if you're adding a large number of high megapixel cameras. When I looked up your NVR I couldn't see the spec on the camera ports. Just something to consider.

bp2008

Staff member
Reaction score
That NVR does have a 1000 Mbps (gigabit) capable port and can handle high bit rates. Whether gigabit speed will be necessary or not is something we can't say without knowing how many cameras and what bit rates you intend to use. To be safe, I'd go with a gigabit switch. If 6 cameras is enough, then any 8 port with all ports PoE-enabled like the ZyXEL above would be fine. If you want to run all 8 cams your NVR is capable of though, you will want a larger switch. Example: http://www.amazon.com/dp/B00OLUPN2UT

Beware of "injector" type products which don't include network switching functionality. If you get one of those, you also need to have a switch and an additional short patch cable for each camera. It can work out to be cheaper to use a non-PoE switch plus an injector, but it is also messier.

As an Amazon Associate IPCamTalk earns from qualifying purchases.