Bosch Dinion Starlight 8000 MP, Mountain home view camera

kavefish

n3wb
Reaction score
Hi Everyone,

Long time lurker here, and finally registered an account to share a recent camera install.

My parents have a beautiful mountain home on top of a mountain in the Blue Ridge mountains. They have had a Logitech Alert camera system since 2011 with 6 cameras that they installed in and around the house to catch wildlife and to keep an eye on things while they are not there. We have had bears, coyotes, bobcats, turkeys, owls, and countless other birds and critters. The one camera angle we never had was the view off of the back porch. So, for Christmas after doing some research I picked up a Bosch Dinion Starlight 8000 MP, along with a wide angle lens and a heated/ventilated outdoor enclosure. Two weeks ago we finally got around to installing it, and have been very pleased with the camera's performance. We don't really use it for video capture, but rather still images (at 2992 x 1680) that are uploaded automatically to a web server and Weather Underground to accompany a weather station I have up there (which is visible in the picture). Fortunately we have a very reliable DSL connection where we are located, but unfortunately the upload speed prevents us from doing any decent video sharing.

What sold me on the camera was its sensitivity to ultra low light situations, specifically this video and . My folks and I, while we enjoy the high resolution, clear daytime images, we are blown away by what we are able to see at night: moon rises, stars, the lights in the valley below, and the lights in the distant horizon from a major city about 40 miles away.

The camera (the wires, PoE and power for the enclosure, have since been cleanly routed and are out of sight):
IMG_2183.jpg

The daytime view:
IMG_6676.jpeg

The nighttime view (infrared mode, stars visible):
IMG_5942.jpeg

Moon (light in foreground is the small infrared emitter on a Logitech Alert camera about 30 feet away):
gjicjadj.png

Another Moon shot around 1am (light was so bright from the moon that the camera switched from nighttime mode to daytime mode):
IMG_8714.jpeg

Sunrise around 6:15am:
Attachment-1.jpeg

We've been very pleased with the camera. I am using BlueIris to take a snapshot once a minute, overlaying the time and temperature on the image, and uploading it to a web server for viewing directly and for Weather Underground. One of my near-term goals is to figure out how to automate taking a snapshot once a minute (or once every 30, or 15 seconds?) and stitching the images together to create a timelapse of the last 8-12 hours. My inspiration is from Dale Ireland's webpage where he had an automatic and rolling timelapse of his gorgeous view of the sound and mountains. I'm not sure how to do that just yet, so I am sure I will be asking some questions in another subforum soon!

Going forward, I have really enjoyed looking at the installation and camera capture subforums on this site, and may look at replacing some of the older Logitech cameras as they start to fail. I am still trying to learn how to best configure this camera which has some pretty complex settings and adjustments menus (I'm still very much a novice!), and using its onboard storage and video processing to start recording video.

I appreciate any comments about anything: the camera, installation, or better methods of managing my images and videos, or how I can make the timelapse!

bp2008

Staff member
Reaction score
Nice camera! The only way I get halfway decent night shots like that is with an olympus sp-500uz camera connected to a PC with USB. With it, I can automate 60 second exposures which come out about like your night shots. Except of course they are 60 second exposures so it is terrible for seeing anything that moves during the night. And the whole setup is very unwieldy.

Anyway, some people use http://iptimelapse.com/ for projects like this. You might want to take a look.

fenderman

Staff member
Reaction score
Great shots...depending on the logitech model cameras you have, they may fetch a hefty some on ebay (God only knows why folks pay insane sums of money for the old cams)...if you can get good money, dump them and move to a better system...

kavefish

n3wb
Reaction score
Thanks for the comments. The Logitech's were a dead-simple system that my dad picked up on a whim at Best Buy. They transmit data through the power line back to a device that plugs into the router, so they were very easy to install and the pictures/videos were surprisingly clear (albeit at a lower resolution). Fortunately I was able to figure out how to use BlueIris to communicate with them and make them do more things, and have gotten some really good . The best part about the Logitech system is that there is a dead-simple app for iPhone/iPad (and maybe Android?) that allows anyone of varying technical skills to see the cameras in real time and view past recordings.

After a quick check on eBay it is amazing that such an older system is going right at the purchase price from 4 years ago! That may be enticing enough to sell them and pick up some newer gear, although at this point I have no idea what I would like to go with.

paarlberg

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
The night time shots are awesome. If I only had enough money to upgrade mine ;-)