Blue Iris - Windows 10 upgrade lost key

crhfish

n3wb
Reaction score
Hi all, this is my first post although I have read and learned allot from here over the years. I'm a longtime BI user, I have it on two machines for home use. On one of the machines I updated to Windows 10 only after checking to make sure that it worked ok with the latest BI software. I read before hand that I might have to reinput my key.

After the update, I input my old key and it does not work. I read online that this has happened to a few other folks and that they have contacted customer support to get a new key. So I send customer support my old key that does not work and request a new key.

The response I get from Blue Iris is a key for the old version 3 of blue Iris with an upgrade code to purchase version 4 again at half price.

I am running this software on two machines. I look back through my emails and I have paid for it now 4 times due to new computers and one lost hard drive. To make this even more frustrating I don't see anyplace to download the old version 3 software and I never had it on the machine that I upgraded to Windows 10. Its not clear that version 3 even works on windows 10 and I suspect it does not since its not supported any more.

So I did get a new key from BI for an old version of software that I can't download that I would guess does not run on Windows 10 anyway.

Why would BI respond like this? I sent them all four of my old keys. Do they think I have some sort of smuggled key? If thats the case why don't they just tell me that. I have the old perspective emails showing all four previous purchases and have sent those to BI in a follow up email.

Has anyone else been treated this way?

Zorac

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
my key stopped working once before, i just asked ken to reset it and it worked fine after that. if you still have your old key, ask ken to reset it and continue using the same key.

you can download version 3 from the website, the very bottom of this page:
http://blueirissoftware.com/updates/

fenderman

Staff member
Reaction score
Dont download v3 if you paid for v4. V3 is outdated and will not receive further updates. There is obviously a misunderstanding here. Not sure why you paid 4 times..if the hard drive crashes or you buy a new computer you simply use the old key.

crhfish

n3wb
Reaction score
I did ask customer support to reset it. I sent them my old key that was running version 4 on that machine. What I got back was a key for version 3 with a coupon to repurchase version 4 at half price. But this may be a blessing. I found a free program online that so far is handling and recording my cameras very well. I'm still part of the way through the set up, but its handling my reolink cameras much better. I would rather use a paid platform so I don't have to worry about surprises, but I also don't want to have to repurchase it overtime Windows decides to force an upgrade.

fenderman

Staff member
Reaction score
I did ask customer support to reset it. I sent them my old key that was running version 4 on that machine. What I got back was a key for version 3 with a coupon to repurchase version 4 at half price. But this may be a blessing. I found a free program online that so far is handling and recording my cameras very well. I'm still part of the way through the set up, but its handling my reolink cameras much better. I would rather use a paid platform so I don't have to worry about surprises, but I also don't want to have to repurchase it overtime Windows decides to force an upgrade.
Like I said, it must be a misunderstanding. Hopefully it will be clarified. I have done clean installs on a bunch of windows machines upgrading to 10 and the old key worked.
If you are referring to ispy, its not free, they charge for remote access and alerts. There is nothing in the blue iris price range or free that is even remotely as feature rich.

crhfish

n3wb
Reaction score
No I am looking at Genius Vision. So far its a little weird, but its working.

crhfish

n3wb
Reaction score
I did finally get this resolved through BI support. Thanks to them for a response over the weekend. I now have both systems working again. The Genius Vision was interesting but limited to Explorer only and like many of the others you have to pay to be able to do simple things like look at recorded video. It was certainly not as intuitive as BI but it did handle the Higher mega pixel cameras better. It actually gave me some ideas on things the play with in BI to see if it can handle the reolink cameras smoother.