Blue Iris w/ ONVIF camera VMD metadata

AveryFreeman

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
Hello,

I will be upgrading from Milestone Xprotect Essential+ for my home security system after becoming disillusioned by their licensing system - even the free version (Essential+) was complaining about camera licenses being in "grace period" from their licensing system thinking they were new cameras after a firmware update. Free is free, I shouldn't have to pay for free software just because I update my firmware (but I digress...)

One reason I stuck with Milestone as long as I did is because it appears to be a bit more conservative with CPU, the built-in video motion detection (VMD) wasn't very CPU-intensive and I read it can slow FPS down considerably in the Blue Iris cliff notes

So I'm researching if it's possible to use the camera's VMD data through a metadata connector to record VMD events from the camera in Blue Iris. Is this something that's possible?

I guess I should start by asking if my cameras are natively supported or must be connected through ONVIF driver - a few are cheap Hikvision knock-offs from Anpviz, but I also have 2x Dahua T5442TM-AS and 1x HFW1831C-PIR

Does ONVIF metadata connection supports VMD data in BI... ?

I haven't seen any threads in my search discussing this, so I thought I'd up a post. Thanks

looney2ns

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
You can try BI for 15days at no cost.
You can use ONVIF subscription to have a camera trigger BI. Whether its with camera based motion detection, IVS or AI.
In general, BI buitin motion detection ability's is superior to most cameras motion detection.
Not sure what you mean by " I read it can slow FPS down considerably in the Blue Iris cliff notes"
If you have the proper hardware running BI, then the is no FPS slow down. BI simply records and display''s whatever the camera is sending it.
Choosing Hardware for Blue Iris | IP Cam Talk

AveryFreeman

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
You can try BI for 15days at no cost.
You can use ONVIF subscription to have a camera trigger BI. Whether its with camera based motion detection, IVS or AI.
Cool, thanks - I already bought a copy and installed it on Windows LTSC 1809, just haven't set it up yet.

In general, BI buitin motion detection ability's is superior to most cameras motion detection.
Not sure what you mean by " I read it can slow FPS down considerably in the Blue Iris cliff notes"
If you have the proper hardware running BI, then the is no FPS slow down. BI simply records and display''s whatever the camera is sending it.
I thought I read that in the cliff notes, it has been a while since I've read them - maybe it was another type of analysis I am mistaking it for?

I'd be running VM on Xeon 2650-v4 and can passthrough Nvidia Quadro P400 (it's what I have - can't afford dedicated system rn) - off hand, Nvidia Quadro useful for anything in BI or is it all Quick Sync?

Thanks

fenderman

Staff member
Reaction score
Hello,

I will be upgrading from Milestone Xprotect Essential+ for my home security system after becoming disillusioned by their licensing system - even the free version (Essential+) was complaining about camera licenses being in "grace period" from their licensing system thinking they were new cameras after a firmware update. Free is free, I shouldn't have to pay for free software just because I update my firmware (but I digress...)

One reason I stuck with Milestone as long as I did is because it appears to be a bit more conservative with CPU, the built-in video motion detection (VMD) wasn't very CPU-intensive and I read it can slow FPS down considerably in the Blue Iris cliff notes

So I'm researching if it's possible to use the camera's VMD data through a metadata connector to record VMD events from the camera in Blue Iris. Is this something that's possible?

I guess I should start by asking if my cameras are natively supported or must be connected through ONVIF driver - a few are cheap Hikvision knock-offs from Anpviz, but I also have 2x Dahua T5442TM-AS and 1x HFW1831C-PIR

Does ONVIF metadata connection supports VMD data in BI... ?

I haven't seen any threads in my search discussing this, so I thought I'd up a post. Thanks
blue iris is now just as light on resources as milestone. Most of what you are reading is old. This decrease in cpu consumption occurred when BI added the ability to use sub streams for video decoding see wiki. You can use blue iris vmd with little impact on resources.

AveryFreeman

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
blue iris is now just as light on resources as milestone. Most of what you are reading is old. This decrease in cpu consumption occurred when BI added the ability to use sub streams for video decoding see wiki. You can use blue iris vmd with little impact on resources.
Are there any real advantages to using BI's built in VMD over the camera, though?

Just off hand, I'm thinking:

Camera VMD positives:
Offloads processing resources

BI VMD positives:
All in one place (easier to edit)
Easier to set up