Blue Iris sub streams and iOS mobile app

Reaction score
Good evening,
I'm currently attempting to set up sub streams on my main BI computer, however I've run into an issues. When I enable sub streams and "Record dual-streams if available" It works as expected when viewing the cameras from the BI console or UI3. When I use the iOS app on my iPhone the app will pull the sub stream even when I'm viewing a single camera. If I attempt to watch a recording on a single camera it'll pull the recording from the sub stream.

I would like the iOS app to pull from the main stream while I'm viewing a single camera either live or a recording. Currently I can force it to pull from the main stream for a recording if I disable Record Dual Streams.

I've searched the help file and all of the settings on BI and the iOS app without any success. Has anyone figured out how to do this or is this just the way BI is configured?

Mike A.

Known around here
Reaction score
Mine seems to pull the main stream and works fine with dual streams recording. :idk:

I don't see any setting to change that. Maybe someone else will know what might change that.

tward392

Pulling my weight
Reaction score
What version of BI? There was a recent version where that seemed to be happening even on the Android App, but a newer release seemed to clear the issue up. I'm on version 5.5.6.20, not sure which version fixed it but I'm pretty sure it was rather recent.

Reaction score
I was running BI version 5.5.6.15 when I was experiencing this issue. I upgraded to 5.5.6.20 and the issue is still present. No changes were observed after the update.

I did some more troubleshooting. I was using sub stream 2 running at 1280x720. When I changed the sub stream to 704x480 it started to work as expected when using the mobile app. So it looks like if you use a sub stream of 1280x720 or above ( I tested setting the sub stream to 1920x1080) the mobile app won't change to the main stream when viewing a single camera.

chenzomo

n3wb
Reaction score
I have setup multiple installs and just had the same issue last week. What is your record type set to? Mine was on continuous+ alerts, if you just set to continuous now, it fixed this issue for me with streaming and my saved footage. Look at the release notes...
Update Notes - 5.4.4 - April 27, 2021
When the triggered+continuous record mode is used with a dual-streaming camera along with
direct-to-disc, the result is a BVR file which will contain the sub-stream continuously
recorded, but the main-stream only recorded when the camera is in a triggered state.

Reaction score
I only record on alerts. I emailed Ken and figured out the issue. By default, BI limits remote viewing to 720p. Under settings, advanced, stream 0, uncheck "resize output frame width x height". Once I disabled it I was able to view the main stream during single camera view when using the BI mobile app and having a sub stream of 720p or above.