Blue Iris Signal Loss at Start of Each New Clip

steve1515

n3wb
Reaction score
I have a Blue Iris system with a Hikvision DS-2CD2042WD-I and two other cameras. Each of the 3 cameras is continuously recording.

The problem is on this Hikvision camera, each time a new clip is created I get a signal loss error and lose about 50 seconds of video at the start of each clip. I have the camera set to H.264, fps 10, and I-frame set to 10.

Does anyone have any experience with this type of setup? Maybe someone can provide some tips or pointers on what to look at? I've been emailing support, but Ken seems stumped.

The server is Windows 2012 R2 with a Core i5 and 16GB of RAM. The CPU is at about 15% and network is under 15% utilized.

Thanks! :)

fenderman

Staff member
Reaction score
@steve1515 How often is a clip created? Have you tried deleting the camera from BI and adding it back? post an image of your blue iris video>configuration tab.

bike_rider

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
I had similar problems - often new clips would trigger moving/deleting clips. This process would drop some connections from a few HK cameras. My solution was to move from using a USB WiFi adapter to a wired network connection for the server. None of the cameras are using HK's Wifi, but a few of them are on the other end of an access point. The problem was not limited to cameras that had a Wifi element in the mix.

steve1515

n3wb
Reaction score
I'm using Ethernet for this camera, so no WiFi is involved. (Although, I do have one of the other cams (a Foscam) on WiFi and it doesn't have these problems.)

I haven't deleted the camera and re-added it to Blue Iris yet, but I will after you guys take a look at my current settings. I want to make sure I didn't set something incorrectly. :rolleyes:

Here are the camera settings:
cam_settings.png

Here are the Blue Iris settings for the camera:
video_settings.png
network_settings.png
record_settings.png

Does anything look screwed up to you guys?

Thanks!

fenderman

Staff member
Reaction score
@steve1515, why are you using an external dynamic dns IP address for a local camera? Use the local lan address.
Also increase the receive buffer to 20.

Last edited by a moderator:

steve1515

n3wb
Reaction score
I should have clarified the networking. The DNS is internal. They resolve internally to IPs like 192.168.1.143.
I'll try setting the buffer to 20.

I was asked above, but for got to say how often clips are created...
During the day time it's about every 40 minutes, and at night it can be anywhere between 1.5 and 2 hours.

--Steve

fenderman

Staff member
Reaction score
I should have clarified the networking. The DNS is internal. They resolve internally to IPs like 192.168.1.143.
I'll try setting the buffer to 20.

I was asked above, but for got to say how often clips are created...
During the day time it's about every 40 minutes, and at night it can be anywhere between 1.5 and 2 hours.

--Steve
Why are you simply not using the local ip address? try it.

steve1515

n3wb
Reaction score
I have a network where most devices have DNS names as they are easier to remember, but I'll try using the IP next. :)

steve1515

n3wb
Reaction score
Increasing the buffer to 20MB didn't work. I'm now trying with the IP address.

steve1515

n3wb
Reaction score
Using the IP address didn't work either. I get the same results. I'll try deleting the camera and re-adding it to Blue Iris. Before I do, I'd like to ask... Should I also delete all clips for the camera or should that not matter?

fenderman

Staff member
Reaction score
Using the IP address didn't work either. I get the same results. I'll try deleting the camera and re-adding it to Blue Iris. Before I do, I'd like to ask... Should I also delete all clips for the camera or should that not matter?
clips wont matter...simply delete the cam.

steve1515

n3wb
Reaction score
clips wont matter...simply delete the cam.
I decided to try another experiment in order to hopefully narrow this down before deleting the camera. I had Hardware Assist + VPP enabled, so I figured I'd try disabling it and so far it appears to be working. If I tried with Hardware Assist (No VPP), then I didn't get a signal loss, but I did get a loss of video at the start of the clip. I'm going to let it run with the hardware assist disabled and see if I get any errors. I'll report back with my results. Has anyone else see HA+VPP cause problems before?

steve1515

n3wb
Reaction score
So after letting it run over night without hardware decoding turned on, everything seems to be working now. So far I have no signal loss or missing video. :cool:

I've turned it off on my other cameras too as it doesn't seem to do much.

bp2008

Staff member
Reaction score
If you experience any problems with clip playback, you can turn off hardware acceleration for clip playback. It causes a number of bugs, like black frames when you first load a clip, and frames from the wrong time when you seek. Unfortunately you have to turn this off for each camera individually (uncheck "Also use for BVR playback").

In my experience with the "VPP" option in hardware acceleration, it causes much higher CPU usage in the System Interrupts category in task manager, and it made my mouse lag. I think it works best when you have very few cameras, like 4 or less, and more than that it will just create problems.

steve1515

n3wb
Reaction score
I was finding that having hardware acceleration on was causing signal loss during recording too. Not sure if you've seen that before.

Madmonkey

n3wb
Reaction score
What happened during signal loss? Did it get stuck on an old frame or does it actually say "signal loss" in the playback view.

steve1515

n3wb
Reaction score
What happened during signal loss? Did it get stuck on an old frame or does it actually say "signal loss" in the playback view.
A signal loss alert was saved in the log, but the video at the start of each clip was just the first frame stuck until about a minute in. No signal loss was ever shown in playback.

Does this indicate something?

Madmonkey

n3wb
Reaction score
A signal loss alert was saved in the log, but the video at the start of each clip was just the first frame stuck until about a minute in. No signal loss was ever shown in playback.

Does this indicate something?
Thanks! I was seeing the opposite - the first few minutes would work, then it would hang at a frame for the rest of the BVR file. I still see the JPEG on the clip for alerts, but the video isn't playing back.

I disabled hardware acceleration and will see if that helps or not.