Blue Iris seems to rate limit repeat triggers. Anyone else see this?

simonx314

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
If I right click on a camera and click "Trigger Now", wait for the trigger to end, then click "Trigger now" again, an alert is not generated after about 5 triggers in a row. Can anyone else replicate this behavior?

As a test, I set "End trigger unless re-triggered within" to 10 seconds, triggered the camera, wait 10 seconds for the trigger to end, then trigger again. The 5th or 6th alert will not appear in the timeline/sidebar, but alerts start creating again if I keep clicking "Trigger now" at a regular cadence of about once every 12 to 15 seconds, then an alert gets missed, then about five more alerts in a row (see screenshot of the gaps in the timeline).

Blue Iris - missed alerts.png

Triggers do cause the main stream to be recorded even when alerts aren't generated. I'm using the default trigger and alert settings, and can replicate this on all my cameras.

Blue Iris - camera trigger settings.png Blue Iris - camera alert settings.png

I am using Home Assistant to trigger a camera when a door is opened, but this rate limiting causes the timeline alerts to be misleadingly dormant if the door is used repeatedly. The "retrigger" period is set to 60s. Several people will go outside, creating an alert about 2 or 3 minutes long containing several door openings. Then 2 minutes later, somebody will come back inside but no alert is generated. This makes the Blue Iris timeline unreliable as a tool to visualize door activity. The timeline/alert list should not be empty when the camera was triggered and configured to create alerts. I have found no reference to rate limiting in the Blue Iris manual. I'm using version 5.5.5.9 but I also noticed the issue on previous versions of 5.

simonx314

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
The logs show triggers coming in even when alerts are not created. The PC is at 25% load or less. Would you mind changing one of your cameras to have a 10s trigger time and reproducing this issue by triggering the camera over and over?

CrazyAsYou

Getting comfortable
Reaction score
The logs show triggers coming in even when alerts are not created. The PC is at 25% load or less. Would you mind changing one of your cameras to have a 10s trigger time and reproducing this issue by triggering the camera over and over?
All my cams are on 10s triggers but without changing many of my settings a manaual trigger (just repeated about 20 times in a row) creates nothing (no alerts) for me as all my settings are based on motion zones and then AI into deepstack, so they all just get ignored on manaul trigger, the only thing I get a "External" trigger in the logs

simonx314

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
Do you see the alerts in the list of cancelled alerts? Cancelled alerts also show on the timeline.

CrazyAsYou

Getting comfortable
Reaction score
OK so I enabled my alerts to use/allow external (which is what a manual trigger spoofs) I've got 10 second end trigger time and I've just performed 10 back to back triggers each time the 10second end trigger passed, so over ~110 seconds in total - I've got 10 in my logs and 10 (nothing found), cancelled alerts with images in my cancelled alerts section, so I can't repilcate your issue, sorry.

1646484232718.png
1646484275384.png1646484291518.png1646484346385.png

Last edited:

simonx314

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
Thanks so much for testing that. You’ve confirmed that BI doesn’t rate limit the alerts. It must be something with my settings.