Blue Iris Questions related to CPU GPU Usage and Nvidia

Rob2020

Getting comfortable
Reaction score
Hello everyone, I am in the process of fine tuning my system ( Blue Iris 5.3.5.1 X64 purchased from IPCamtalk Store and 3 Dahua/Empiretech Cams, a 2MP Varifocal, and two 5442 fixed focal, currently recording 24/7). PC is a Ryzen 2700 CPU, 16GB Ram, BI5 & OS on a separate M.2 PCI 3.0 NVMe drive, 4 TB Purple WD for storage, GTX Super 1650 4GB GPU, this was home built prior to discovering BI prefers the Intel platform. I have read optimizing Blue Iris and the other help files and when checking my settings against the recommended help files I discovered a couple settings in question.

My CPU usage runs around 8 - 9% with the 3 cams recording 24/7, RAM usage under 4GB (Direct to disk enabled, sub-streams on, 15 FPS). CPU runs around 12% with a couple more similar cams in use (pending a permanent location).

Here are my questions: I pulled up Task Manager and noticed my GPU usage was 0%, I noticed Hardware Accelerate Decode was listed as Default, and GPU as Any. Based on the help files my GTX 1650 Super GPU is supported, should I change the dropdown menu from default to Nvidia NVDEC? I recognize trial and error might be the best way to find out but I am also of the opinion if it ain't broke don't fix it. I also noticed in Task Manager that power consumption was listed as very high for Blue Iris but based upon reading that may just indicate it is using a lot of RAM.

I also noticed I was not running as a service even though I see that recommended frequently. Based on my very acceptable CPU Usage I am not sure I need to change my existing system which has been rock solid and stable.

Any feedback would be greatly appreciated.