Blue Iris or a different VMS system?

Reaction score
The company I work for is looking at upgrading our security camera system as our current one is about 10 yrs old. We have 20 cameras for gates and entrances that are displayed on a larger display to be viewed and monitored my security as needed. We also need video retention for 30 days. We really don't need AI tech but the simpler stuff like vehicle and people recognition and counting and other metrics would be nice.

If we went with BI I would build a monster rack mount server to specs beyond what we think we need. Is BI up to the task and sufficient for what we need or should be be looking at a more robust and feature filled VMS software? Meraki and Verkada are great but I really wanted to stay away from larger subscriptions and fees.

actran

Getting comfortable
Reaction score
@Steve in IT Yes, BI5 can handle 20 cameras and more. With BI5, you will have the ability to use cameras across many different brands.

With a Meraki or Verkada system, you may be limited to Cisco branded cameras. The list of cameras on their website is underwhelming if you examine their camera specs closely.

For example, this 4k bullet would not give you good footage at night: CB62-TE Bullet - Verkada because its image sensor of 1 / 2.8” Progressive CMOS is just too small for 4k resolution.

Last edited:

fenderman

Staff member
Reaction score
The company I work for is looking at upgrading our security camera system as our current one is about 10 yrs old. We have 20 cameras for gates and entrances that are displayed on a larger display to be viewed and monitored my security as needed. We also need video retention for 30 days. We really don't need AI tech but the simpler stuff like vehicle and people recognition and counting and other metrics would be nice.

If we went with BI I would build a monster rack mount server to specs beyond what we think we need. Is BI up to the task and sufficient for what we need or should be be looking at a more robust and feature filled VMS software? Meraki and Verkada are great but I really wanted to stay away from larger subscriptions and fees.
Look at digital watchdog IPVMS. It is rebranded NX witness for north americal. Its about 80-90 per camera but lifetime upgrades.