Blue Iris on PC vs NVR

Ravenx619

n3wb
Reaction score
Hello,

I have a friend that would like me to setup a new 2 camera system using either a laptop or PC tower running Blue Iris or NVR. I only have experience setting up my own PC tower with Blue Iris and I've been very happy with it as I can VPN in remotely on my cell phone and view my cameras.

My friend would like to know why a PC running Blue Iris has advantages over NVR? From a performance and flexibility perspective, doesn't a PC with Blue Iris smoke an NVR system? I could be wrong, however doesn't BI offer many features that a typical NVR does not offer?

A family member of mine paid for a professional installation of several cameras and NVR system. It seems like if he wants to make any changes to his NVR it would be more difficult than with Blue Iris.

What are your thoughts on pros and cons of Blue Iris on PC versus an NVR system?

fenderman

Staff member
Reaction score
Hello,

I have a friend that would like me to setup a new 2 camera system using either a laptop or PC tower running Blue Iris or NVR. I only have experience setting up my own PC tower with Blue Iris and I've been very happy with it as I can VPN in remotely on my cell phone and view my cameras.

My friend would like to know why a PC running Blue Iris has advantages over NVR? From a performance and flexibility perspective, doesn't a PC with Blue Iris smoke an NVR system? I could be wrong, however doesn't BI offer many features that a typical NVR does not offer?

A family member of mine paid for a professional installation of several cameras and NVR system. It seems like if he wants to make any changes to his NVR it would be more difficult than with Blue Iris.

What are your thoughts on pros and cons of Blue Iris on PC versus an NVR system?
Blue iris offers many features simply not available or possible on an nvr, there are a bunch of threads that discuss them.

wittaj

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
Here are some threads...