Blue iris new to stored not working well

sebastiantombs

Known around here
Reaction score
Fine, alerts and clips are quick on both drives. I even got lucky with the camera loads and they are both holding a month worth, almost to the hour.

dohat leku

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
I put in the exclusions as per below - please check. CPU still in the same range, no reduction

1624369916546.png

wittaj

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
Yep, without substreams, not much else you can do.

Quit being reluctant and take the substream plunge LOL. Be amazed like the member here with 50 cameras at 100% CPU that eventually took the leap and watched his drop to 30%.

dohat leku

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
From the guide, I don't understand where the CPU savings are coming from if I do a sub-stream of 15fps to match my main stream rate

1. The Blue Iris developer has indicated that for best reliability, sub stream frame rate should be equal to the main stream frame rate. Blue Iris's frame pipeline is driven by the sub stream, so a slow sub stream will cause the main stream to be slow as well. Because sub streams are so efficient, it is often okay to ignore past advice about limiting frame rates to 15 FPS. Go as high as you want. Just make sure the main and sub streams have the same frame rate.

wittaj

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
Yet all of us have seen tremendous drops in CPU using the substreams...

What you referenced is that you can run higher FPS now IF you are using substreams because BI will use substreams instead of mainstream...substream is way less data than mainstream...although most of us still use 15 FPS.

Also from the wiki:

When you configure a camera in Blue Iris to use a sub stream, Blue Iris will pull video from both the "main" and "sub" streams. Each stream is used for different purposes.

The main stream is used for:
  • direct-to-disc recording
  • single-camera live viewing and recording playback
  • audio
The sub stream is used for everything else:
  • multiple-camera viewing
  • motion detection
  • alert snapshots
  • etc.

So if you are not using substreams, all of that is being done with mainstream and that is why the CPU is so high...

sebastiantombs

Known around here
Reaction score
The frame/iframe rate is only part of the picture. The resolution and bit rate of the sub stream is what really makes the difference. I'm running all the sub streams at "D1" resolution with a 1024 bit rate. CPU utilization varies from a low of about 10% at night to 20% during the day. You can see the cameras loading it in my signature. It's a total of about 14MB/PS and 200 MP/PS.

Last edited:

dohat leku

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
Do I have to do anything under exploit protection settings too?

Flintstone61

Known around here
Reaction score
in exclusions make an exclusion for a " Process" rather than a Folder, and exclude this process:
C:\Program Files\Blur Iris 5\BlueIrisAdmin.exe
This would be in addition to your Folders already Excluded.
from the help file in BI,
"for proper efficient software operation it is highly
recommended that you exempt the BlueIris.exe executable as well as the supporting file
BlueIrisAdmin.exe from this type of scanning.
BlueIris.exe should be added as a Process exclusion, while the C:\BlueIris folder should be
excluded as a Folder."

Last edited:

beepsilver

Getting comfortable
Reaction score
Now that we have Deepstack in the picture...should any of Deepstack's processes, files, etc., be excluded?