Blue Iris is changing IP addresses randomly

bensocket

n3wb
Reaction score
Hello All
I have a system with 4 cameras and recently 2 squares in BI are displaying the same camera. I change it back and a few hours/days there will be 2 the same again. Here you can see that at 12 noon two changed to 192.168.2.50. There is no cameras here. then about 40 min later they changed to 192.168.2.102. there is a camera here but now they display the same feed.

Anyone see this before?
BI version 5.6.5.3

Thanks

1669755686164.png

wittaj

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
Yes, several threads on it....here is one that discusses a change BI made with 5.6.2.

Blue Iris Configuration changing spontaneously
I have been running Blue Iris for years. Recently two of my Cameras started changing configurations spontaneously. The cameras have an assigned IP address of 10.0.1.213 (TH_Pointing SE) And 10.0.1.215 (THNE) They are configured with that address in Blue IRIS and the cameras are visible for a...

BI changed camera IP addresses
Updated to BI 5.6.2 the other day on one of my BI systems. Last night, the IP addresses of 2 of the cameras was changed in the BI configuration. I usually reserve .50-.200 for DHCP and the addresses in BI was configured for IP addresses in the DHCP range but I would never have put my cameras in...

5.6.2 - September 23, 2022
5.6.2 - September 23, 2022 The Camera Discovery window now finds MAC addresses along with IP addresses. You also have the option of using the previous ONVIF discovery, or the new full LAN IP and port scan. With this, it should no longer be necessary to use the external website service Advanced...

Unless you like headaches or don't care to be a beta tester (which we do need and are thankful of those doing that), once you find a stable version of BI, resist the urge to update until they add something that is of value to you. Especially now with all the frequent changes trying to get SenseAI to work more seamlessly.

I am still on 5.5.something because Deepstack simply works for me and I have seen lots of issues with the new SenseAI and nothing new has been added since my version that I care about. Most here do not update and do not have auto update on and only update when something new is added they want. Previously I was on an older version until substreams were introduced and then I stayed on that stable version until DeepStack was added then I went to that stable version, and I am holding tight there until something is added that I feel I need or would enhance my system. This MAC address thing is good for some, but as you are seeing, it can also be a headache.

Many people here are still on Version 4 because that works for them.

You can go in and make changes to fix this or rollback to the version before this change happened.

dbrannon79

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
What version would you recommend for BI to stop randomly changing the IP for the cameras? I'm on 5.6.5.6 and still experience a camera IP get changed in the settings every now and then. happened today and thought the camera was offline. looked and it was some random IP in the setting, once I set it back to the correct IP all was good again.

any way to tell BI not to "search" or change any settings if a camera goes offline or reboots? I have noticed that BI will begin searching the LAN for a camera if it happens to go offline for a second or reboots.

dbrannon79

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
would this be the setting to check that makes BI not search for the camera if it goes offline or reboots?

under camera settings in Network IP config in the advanced box...
1670190944602.png

TonyR

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
would this be the setting to check that makes BI not search for the camera if it goes offline or reboots?

under camera settings in Network IP config in the advanced box...
View attachment 147386
Try on that same page clicking on the "Help" button at lower right and maybe it'll answer your question (mine is v5.4.7.11 from 6/11/21).

fenderman

Staff member
Reaction score
Try on that same page clicking on the "Help" button at lower right and maybe it'll answer your question (mine is v5.4.7.11 from 6/11/21).
Unfortunately the help file was not updated to reflect the proper way to disable this function. The disable option was always there but didnt have the "MAC" so I presume this was added recently to address the new feature. There should be a global option to disable this "feature" or better yet, it should be "opt in".

Last edited:

Mike A.

Known around here
Reaction score
Which tab is that under? I need to turn that off too. Keeps changing two of mine for some reason.

dbrannon79

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
Just ordered a new POE switch that is designed for cameras. all my cameras are only 10/100 cat5 Ethernet so this one seems good for the price of $16. only time will tell. all cameras are not true POE as they each use a POE splitter for the 12v output and normal Ethernet connection.

after simply setting the IP and different gateway on each camera, I have witnessed them each randomly dropping their IP and attempting to connect with an IP within my internet subnet range just to phone home. I caught this looking on my main router as it shows device history and previous IP's each one will attempt to connect via it's default IP 192.168.1.108 even though the cameras themselves are set to static IP's in a separate subnet. I think once I get this switch installed and isolated, I just may change my main network subnet to a 10 dot or 11 dot subnet range and reject all new devices that attempt to connect without prior assigning of IP's hence disabling DHCP for the entire network completely.

As an Amazon Associate IPCamTalk earns from qualifying purchases.

fenderman

Staff member
Reaction score
Just ordered a new POE switch that is designed for cameras. all my cameras are only 10/100 cat5 Ethernet so this one seems good for the price of $16. only time will tell. all cameras are not true POE as they each use a POE splitter for the 12v output and normal Ethernet connection.

after simply setting the IP and different gateway on each camera, I have witnessed them each randomly dropping their IP and attempting to connect with an IP within my internet subnet range just to phone home. I caught this looking on my main router as it shows device history and previous IP's each one will attempt to connect via it's default IP 192.168.1.108 even though the cameras themselves are set to static IP's in a separate subnet. I think once I get this switch installed and isolated, I just may change my main network subnet to a 10 dot or 11 dot subnet range and reject all new devices that attempt to connect without prior assigning of IP's hence disabling DHCP for the entire network completely.
Be wary of cheap no name switches. You have to cut corners selling a 17 dollar poe switch. Here is an example of an issue directly caused by a low cost no name switch. Bottleneck with 5th camera

As an Amazon Associate IPCamTalk earns from qualifying purchases.

dbrannon79

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
thank you for the heads up. since it's already ordered I will keep by fingers crossed. it seems to have some decent reviews and with prime I can return it with virtually no questions asked.

fenderman

Staff member
Reaction score
thank you for the heads up. since it's already ordered I will keep by fingers crossed. it seems to have some decent reviews and with prime I can return it with virtually no questions asked.
The switch I linked to also had thousands of 5 star reviews....Dont trust amazon reviews.

dbrannon79

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
Just curious on the camera setup in BI. two of the cameras are randomly dropping connection but not frequently, it's seems to happen maybe once every hour or half hour. they seem to come back online within about 1 or 2 minuets. I was looking at the status windows in BI and noticed that the two cameras that are doing this show the mac address along with the IP. not that this is a coincidence, but I did make sure that all cameras have the check box checked on "Skip initial MAC, HTTP, DNS reachability tests".

could it be possible that somewhere in the scheme of things that this setting didn't take for these two cameras? I can't find any setting anywhere where it would show me the MAC address for any of the cameras. I thought that if I could clear out that entry, maybe I might see something result from it since none of the other cameras show this but only the IP address and are of the same make of camera.

looney2ns

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
For others following along, a switch, be it POE or not is NOT the place to cut corners on price. It is the backbone of your camera system. Unless of course you enjoy heartburn.
I have had excellent service out of any Netgear ProSafe switchs I've used.

This also applies to network cable, don't cheap out if you want reliable connections.

Last edited: