Blue Iris Help

ercchen

n3wb
Reaction score
Hi,

Brand new to the forum and just finished setting up Blue Iris.

I purchased two cameras the Amcrest IP2M-842 and the Amcrest IPM-722S.

I got them up onto blue iris and things seem to run smoothly until the cameras detect any motion. Once the cameras detect motion, the frame rate drops significantly and anyone walking by the camera is already gone by the next frame. Once I disable one of the cameras, the other one seems to function much more smoothly. Any idea why this would be? Any help will be appreciated. Thank you.

I have an AMD A8-6500 APU 3.50GHz w/ 16GB ram running windows 8. The CPU usage when both cameras are on is about 20-25% usage.

I am using the default frame rates which is 30 fps on the cameras.

ercchen

n3wb
Reaction score
Hi, yes I am on wifi. When I view the cameras on the amcrest website, the cameras do not lag. Once I view them on blue iris, there seems to be lag.

Mr-Gizmo

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
Hi, yes I am on wifi. When I view the cameras on the amcrest website, the cameras do not lag. Once I view them on blue iris, there seems to be lag.
The cameras on Amcrest site for public viewing are configured for low frame rates and bit rates so they work over low bandwidth connections. Your system with an AMD A8-6500 APU running at 3.50GHz benchmarks at 4399, which is a average rating for a Desktop PC. It hard to believe that your PC's CPU utilization is not higher than what you are seeing with both Amcrest cameras running at 1920x1080 @ 30fps, especially since your AMD A8 processor does not support Intel's quick sync hardware acceleration.

http://www.cpubenchmark.net/cpu.php?cpu=AMD+A8-6500+APU&id=1998

You may be running into a combination of problems. Below is what I would recommend:

1. Update the firmware on your Amcrest IP2M-842 and the Amcrest IPM-722S cameras to the latest.
  2. Connect each Amcrest camera by a wired Ethernet (CAT5e/6) cable to your router or network switch. If you are unable to run network cables to your Amcrest cameras, then I would recommend purchasing Powerline adapters. This is a better solution to running IP cameras over wireless.
  3. Most people using security cameras do *not* need 30 frames per second. You are wasting network bandwidth, increasing CPU utilization on the PC running Blue Iris 4 and increasing the size of clips stored on your hard drive. I recommend decreasing your Amcrest Frame rate from 30 to 10-15 fps. From your Amcrest camera, make sure you adjust the Frame Interval (I-Frame) so it matches the cameras frame rate.
  4. For the Amcrest IP2M-841 camera, change the make and model in Blue Iris to:

Make: Amcrest
    Model: IP2M-841 Main Stream RTSP

This can be found in Blue Iris camera properties -> Video -> Network IP Camera Configuration.
  5. Unselect "Use RTSP/stream timecode" the option. This has been known to fix video freezing.

I suspect your dropping frame rate issue in Blue Iris may be solved by switching both cameras from a wireless to a wired connection. If none of the above suggestions help, I remember recently a few users complaining of similar issues after updating to a newer version of Blue Iris. You might try rolling back the version of Blue Iris to an earlier version.

Attachments

Last edited by a moderator:

ercchen

n3wb
Reaction score
Mr Gizmo,

Thank you for your detailed reply.

I tried everything that you suggested except rolling back to an earlier version of blue iris. (I will test this within the next few days to see if it will can fix the issue)

I do see some improvements but still get some freezing here and there.

Since I do not have another more powerful PC to test at the moment, is there a chance that this issue is directly tied to my mediocre PC?

fenderman

Staff member
Reaction score
Since I do not have another more powerful PC to test at the moment, is there a chance that this issue is directly tied to my mediocre PC?
No your pc is more than adequate for your load, though I would not use AMD in the future for blue iris or any vms for that matter as they are not as efficient as intel and do not support quicksync which blue iris takes advantage of for hardware acceleration.

w1zofaz

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
The cameras on Amcrest site for public viewing are configured for low frame rates and bit rates so they work over low bandwidth connections. Your system with an AMD A8-6500 APU running at 3.50GHz benchmarks at 4399, which is a average rating for a Desktop PC. It hard to believe that your PC's CPU utilization is not higher than what you are seeing with both Amcrest cameras running at 1920x1080 @ 30fps, especially since your AMD A8 processor does not support Intel's quick sync hardware acceleration.

http://www.cpubenchmark.net/cpu.php?cpu=AMD+A8-6500+APU&id=1998

You may be running into a combination of problems. Below is what I would recommend:

1. Update the firmware on your Amcrest IP2M-842 and the Amcrest IPM-722S cameras to the latest.
  2. Connect each Amcrest camera by a wired Ethernet (CAT5e/6) cable to your router or network switch. If you are unable to run network cables to your Amcrest cameras, then I would recommend purchasing Powerline adapters. This is better solution to running IP cameras over wireless.
  3. Most people using security cameras do *not* need 30 frames per second. You are wasting network bandwidth, increasing CPU utilization on the PC running Blue Iris 4 and increasing the size of clips stored on your hard drive. I recommend decreasing your Amcrest Frame rate from 30 to 10-15 fps. From your Amcrest camera, make sure you adjust the Frame Interval (I-Frame) so it matches the cameras frame rate.
  4. For the Amcrest IP2M-841 camera, change the make and model in Blue Iris to:

Make: Amcrest
    Model: IP2M-841 Main Stream RTSP

This can be found in Blue Iris camera properties -> Video -> Network IP Camera Configuration.
  5. Unselect "Use RTSP/stream timecode" the option. This has been known to fix video freezing.

I suspect your dropping frame rate issue in Blue Iris may be solved by switching both cameras from a wireless to a wired connection. If none of the above suggestions help, I remember recently a few users complaining of similar issues after updating to a newer version of Blue Iris. You might try rolling back the version of Blue Iris to an earlier version.
Oh my gosh! Yesterday evening just out of curiosity I did Number 5 on my Reolinks! It worked! My clips from last night were no longer freezing up and stuttering! Thank You. :)