Blue Iris computer becomes unresponsive but Blue Iris still works

bphillips

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
I have Blue Iris installed on a headless Windows 10 machine that is mounted in my server rack. When I need to do any configuration or access the machine I just use Google Remote Desktop to remote in. A few months ago I started having an issue where the Remote Desktop connection wouldn't connect. When that happens, I hook a spare monitor directly to the computer but I can't get the screen to wake (the screen acts like it's not plugged into anything). I need to reboot the computer using the power button on the case. Once it reboots it works fine for a few days but then the same problem happens again. However, I never lose my Blue Iris connection. I can still log in to the BI web GUI and all my cameras work and record as expected. Even while I can't remote in and the monitor I connect doesn't show anything on the screen.

The computer is up to date as of 2 days ago.

Has anyone else had this issue or have an idea where to start looking?

OgRoar

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
I had this same issue. I had an AMD video card that wasn't doing anything but eating power. I 100% believe it was the AMD drivers. I Uninstalled AMD software and drivers, removed video card and it never happened again.

Flintstone61

Known around here
Reaction score
If Windows Updates are being allowed to run automatically, it could have affected a setting in Remote Desktop....or security setting indirectly related to RD.
Not exactly sure....
but if you scroll thru the Update history you might find the culprit.....then maybe you can roll back to an earlier time on Windows updates, to the time of the FUBAR.

I'm running an experiment as Joe Average Dumbass.
running 11 with automagic updates running automatically.
So far no issues.

But I don't use RD or anything special

Last edited:

bphillips

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
I think I ended up solving this, it's worked for a few days now. I think the issue was my drives were getting too hot. They were running around 135-140 degrees (f). I tried spacing them apart and got it down to 117-125. Then I added a 120mm fan in front of the drives. That brought it down to a consistent 102 degrees. It seems to have solved the issue. It's crazy what a fan can do!

Untitled.jpg

Flintstone61

Known around here
Reaction score
thanks for posting your discovery...good info to know.....since of the two PC's I am running, one configuration is stacked and the other is side by side.