Blue Iris App for iPhone

srvfan

Getting comfortable
Reaction score
Hello all,

I am having trouble setting up the BI mobile app for my iPhone and was hoping to get some advice. When I had port forwarding set up, I was able to access everything. However, due to the security issues listed on forums here, I have removed port forwarding from my router completely. My plan is to utilize VPN when outside of my home, but for now, I am utilizing WiFi which has access to the network in which my BI server sits. Connecting inside of my network is my main concern at this point.

What is the best way to set up the app on my phone now that I am no longer using port forwarding? In addition to the key and the user name/password fields, I have filled out the LAN and WAN fields in the app to match the settings within BI. Since that did not seem to do the trick, I then changed the LAN and WAN addresses in the app to match the LAN field in BI settings, but still no luck. I’ve tried using the remote wizard to create a connection, but that does not work either. I am positive that the LAN is not changing as I have assigned a static IP address within the BI computer/server.

I am probably missing some simple step in the configuration, but could someone advise the correct way to perform the setup for the app?

Thank you!

Vettester

Getting comfortable
Reaction score
The LAN needs to be the IP address of your BI server and the WAN should be the IP address from your ISP. If you just enter your key info into the app these fields should be filled in automatically. This is assuming you have them entered correctly in Web server section of your BI settings.

When you get around to setting up VPN I would highly recommend using WireGuard

srvfan

Getting comfortable
Reaction score
The LAN needs to be the IP address of your BI server and the WAN should be the IP address from your ISP. If you just enter your key info into the app these fields should be filled in automatically. This is assuming you have them entered correctly in Web server section of your BI settings.

When you get around to setting up VPN I would highly recommend using WireGuard
After a lot of time and research I took a break from reviewing. Turns out that was the thing to do as i quickly found what I did wrong as soon as I started reviewing again. Like a goofball, I had to adjust the firewall settings for the BI network VLAN. It has begun working now!

Thank you for the Wireguard suggestion. I am currently using the VPN option built into the Ubiquiti router, but from what little I’ve seen in the App Store on this product, it sounds intriguing. Thanks and have a great evening!

IAmATeaf

Known around here
Reaction score
If you are accessing via VPN then both the LAN and WAN address should be set the same to the internal address of the BI PC.

Remember a VPN when connected effectively puts you inside you own local LAN as if you are accessing the BI PC from home.

srvfan

Getting comfortable
Reaction score
If you are accessing via VPN then both the LAN and WAN address should be set the same to the internal address of the BI PC.

Remember a VPN when connected effectively puts you inside you own local LAN as if you are accessing the BI PC from home.
Understood . Once I was able to connect with the app, I went to the settings and changed the LAN and WAN boxes to match the IP of the computer. So far there has been no issue and it seems to be working correctly.

The only thing left for me to do is to adjust the firewall in my router to allow my a few addresses from my WiFi network to access the IP of the computer. That way I won’t have to worry about leaving VPN on all the time and burning up the data on my phone. However I can tackle that at a later time; it’s not so pressing now that I have the app working.

sone

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
Would you consider doing a detailed write up? I think many of us are considering doing the same.

srvfan

Getting comfortable
Reaction score
Would you consider doing a detailed write up? I think many of us are considering doing the same.
I assume you’re talking about accessing the app while on home network/WiFi? I would love to provide advice or instructions, but at this time, I’m having trouble getting it to work. I’ve added my WiFi network to my BI network in the firewall rules of the router, but I still cannot access without VPN.
If I’m lucky enough to stumble across a solution, I will definitely provide some type of summary on this thread. It may be a while though; I’ve got to confess that I am kind of a newbie not only to BI, but networking as well.