Blue Iris and Wyze V2 RTSP issue - potential breakthrough

Reaction score
I have problem streaming RTSP video on a Deco M5 Mesh Network. I have been having an issue with a deco M5 mesh network when i try to stream RTSP video from Wyze v2 cameras to a Blue Iris Security Camera system. The RTSP streams consistantly break up after 15-20 seconds and then they reconnect - I have tried everything i can think of to make it work on the Wyze and Blue Iris systems. Many people are having the same issue with RTSP, Blue Iris, and Wyze V2 cameras. At home I have one (1) Wyze V2 and Blue Iris system and have had zero issues since the summer of 2020 - I have a google wifi mesh network at home - not a deco. Frustrated, I decided to pull the four Wyze cameras I had deployed to the deco based location and play with them at home trying to solve the problem. GUESS WHAT! When I brought the Wyze V2 cameras home and put them on my Google WIFi based network they work PERFECTLY with Blue Iris In my case the issue seems to be the deco routers and not the Blue Iris or camera hardware. Has anyone else had issues streaming RTSP video using the deco m5? If so, how did you fix the issue - short of replacing the deco's of course... I guess replacing the deco's might be my only path if tplink can't help me.....

aesterling

Getting comfortable
Reaction score
I’m using two Wyze V2 cams with the RTSP firmware into Blue Iris. They’re connected through my three Google WiFi mesh nodes (all hardwired) and I don’t have any problems. One of the cams will occasionally disconnect for a min or so maybe once per week, but that’s no worse than my Hikvision cams on WiFi either.

I don’t have any other input about your situation but wanted to share my experience since many of the components are the same. Good luck!

SouthernYankee

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
wifi is crap for security cameras.

================================================
I have posted this before.
I did a wifi test a while back with multiple 2MP cameras each camera was set to VBR, 15 FPS, 15 Iframe, 3072kbs, h.264. Using a wifi analyzer I selected the least busy channel (1,6,11) on the 2.4 GHZ band and set up a separate SSID and access point. With 3 cameras in direct line of sight of the AP about 25 feet away I was able to maintain a reasonable stable network with only intermittent signal drops from the cameras. Added a 4th camera and the network became totally unstable. Also add a lot of motion to the 3 cameras caused some more network instability. More data more instability.
The cameras are nearly continuously transmitting. So any lost packet causes a retry, which cause more traffic, which causes more lost packets.
Wifi does not have a flow control, or a token to transmit. So you devices transmit any time they want, more devices more collisions.

The problem is like standing in a room, with multiple people talking to you at the same time about different subjects. You need to answer each person or they repeat the question.

As a side note, it is very easy to jam a wifi network. Wifi is find for watching the bird feed but not for home surveillance and security.

For a 802.11G 2.4 GHZ wifi network the Theoretical Speed is 54Mbps (6.7MBs) real word speed is nearer to 10-29Mbps (1.25-3.6 MBs) for a single channel

Test do not guess.

Dan111

n3wb
Reaction score
I’m using two Wyze V2 cams with the RTSP firmware into Blue Iris. They’re connected through my three Google WiFi mesh nodes (all hardwired) and I don’t have any problems. One of the cams will occasionally disconnect for a min or so maybe once per week, but that’s no worse than my Hikvision cams on WiFi either.

I don’t have any other input about your situation but wanted to share my experience since many of the components are the same. Good luck!
I just got 4 Dahuas and I am using them over wifi with a tp link small wifi router in client mode connected to a udm or a unifi beacon. At first I had some issues with the udm drowning out the channel affecting the cameras connected to the beacon I lowered it's power output and although it lowered the signal the beacon was getting it fixed the issue with the stream quality degrading due to not being able to "speak" or dropping off completely. I'm getting another beacon to bridge the gap and putting them all on low.

I also have wyze cameras inside I have 5. I think the issue with wyze is the fact they are on 2.4ghz and likely at least for me I know I never noticed because I never checked the stream 24/7 or my unifi logs however I think they were probably always disconecting even before using rtsp I just didn't notice until I switched to rtsp. It's possible the beacon I'll be getting to bridge the gap will help keep them online if not they only drop out for about 30 seconds if that.