Blue Iris and Synology

Jake Arndt

n3wb
Reaction score
Greetings everyone,

Currently I have 4 cameras running on Blue Iris, and a Synology DS916+. I'm having trouble with the recording side of things. Ideally, I'd like a recording event to store itself directly on the Synology and not on my desktop. I've tried several things, but it simply isn't working. It will record locally to a folder on my computer, but not over the network to my Synology. I'm sure it's something simple that I'm overlooking. Anyone had any experience with this? I greatly appreciate it,
Jake

ewc1111

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
Hi Jake, try this: Under BlueIris Options clips and archiving Folders: set the Synology shared network drive (new or stored). In the Camera Properties, for each Cam select the Record tab, then enter the folder (new or stored) here. See the screenshot:
blue1.JPG
blue2.JPG

Last edited:

Jake Arndt

n3wb
Reaction score
We're making progress. When I did that it shows that it created a Blue Iris folder and two subfolders (alerts and stored), but there are no video files there. I purposefully did a test recording and in the clips pane it shows them (although at 00seconds). I included a screenshot.

Attachments

ewc1111

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
The user (BI) must have write permissions on the Synology shared folder. Try to give the guest user of Synology full right to the folder
Sorry the Screenshot is only in German ;-)

synology.JPG

edit: i found this on the blueiris help, thats another way to try:
Note however, that if you are running Blue Iris as a service, you may not be able to use the "LocalSystem" account if your Stored clips folder is located on a network drive; instead, you must use a named user account, and give that account rights to the network resource.

Last edited:

Jake Arndt

n3wb
Reaction score
Ok. I tried giving additional permissions but that didn't work. I don't know if I understand your edited comment though. You are saying I might need to create a user named blue iris, give it a username and password and then blue iris will log in and use those permissions to write?

Edit: I think I figured it out. I read on another post that someone unchecked the "run as a windows service" box on the startup tab. I tried that and everything is working as it should for right now. Hopefully that does the trick!
Thanks again for all of your help.

Last edited: