Blue Iris and CAD software, can it be done on one computer?

Kurtis500

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
Im getting a new or renewed computer for Blue Iris and will be using the same computer for CAD on an occasional basis. Likely Solidworks or Inventor. Not heavy use, but the BI machine is in the area I do CAD work in sometimes.

Looking at the BI recommended settings from 2017, does anyone have issues with using the same computer for CAD that is dedicated to BI?

Anything I should upgrade like RAM or graphics card memory or etc. if I'm going dual use?

Thanks

Last edited:

Flintstone61

Known around here
Reaction score
Depends how many cameras?
Maybe use a Full tower with a strong Power supply, so you can pump up the graphics card to a high performer. Then use the CPU's hardware acceleration for "some" of the cams.
32 GB ram, SSD for C:\ drive. Spinning platter disk for camera recording. maybe a third disk. like a scratch disk for the CAD? try it. whata ya got to lose?

Kurtis500

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
Depends how many cameras?
Maybe use a Full tower with a strong Power supply, so you can pump up the graphics card to a high performer. Then use the CPU's hardware acceleration for "some" of the cams.
32 GB ram, SSD for C:\ drive. Spinning platter disk for camera recording. maybe a third disk. like a scratch disk for the CAD? try it. whata ya got to lose?
I have 10 cameras total and an external 2 and 6TB drive. I was thinking 32 GB for ram also and a full tower. Currently have an older Lenovo Thinkcentre and need to upgrade all over. The expandable tower seems like they way to go after being stuck in that one.

Does the SSD in the tower make a big difference?

Flintstone61

Known around here
Reaction score
If you want your system resources to stay freed up and and useable, record cams to an internal Sata Hard drive. preferably a surveillance rated hdd. find out how to run substreams, and you should have extra resources to open SolidWorks.
Nobody really condones putting a surveillance system in a PC thats exposed to the Net, and multitasking, but people do it....the purists will shit on it....so get an extra Network interface card, and run the cams on another network address scheme.

Flintstone61

Known around here
Reaction score

looney2ns

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
Or

Kurtis500

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
Or
Perfect! Thanks you guys!