Blue Iris 5 Fisheye Dewarping Capable? Hardware recommendations?

Alan2000

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
We're getting tired of our sluggish "high end" $4,000 Hikvision NVR and took the first step today buying the Blue Iris 5 software that was on sale here at IPcamtalk to see if a PC with BI will work better. Does anyone know if BI will dewarp fisheye cams? We have some of the Hikvision 12MP fisheye cams. While the cams can be programmed to send dewarp streams, the resolution is significantly decreased with that option, so we record in the full resolution warped mode. A bit annoying that the Hikvision phone app dewarps but local viewing with NVR and web viewing does not dewarp.

Also, and recommendations on PC hardware? Our NVR is supposed to handle 64 cams. We have 35 cams with most being 4MP and running at 10 FPS, with 10 6TB drives. NVR seems overtaxed. We may add 5 more cams for total of 40.

Mikk36

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
From the user manual:
ADVANCED VIDEO TOPICS
Use this setting to inform the software that this camera has a fish-eye lens. If this camera is mounted on a ceiling, this can capture a 360-degree view. Mounted on a wall or door, this creates a 180-degree panorama. Your setting here determines how the camera is de-warped when viewed via either the clip Viewer window or a remote client.
As it may be extremely CPU-intensive to render the video in this way, it is not currently offered for live video display.
Many cameras with this feature also offer multiple video streams that can be used to break up the warped view into several de-warped views. In this case, you may consider adding multiple camera windows to the software, each requesting a separate view from the camera.

bp2008

Staff member
Reaction score
Blue Iris's dewarping support has a lot of limitations at this point.

• Doesn't function on live views, only recordings.
  • Only works with clips recorded in Blue Iris's .bvr format (not .mp4 for example). It is best to use .bvr format for other reasons anyway, so not a big problem here.
  • Limited dewarping modes.

I have one fisheye camera, not ceiling mounted, but I'll use it to show you the output.

No dewarping

Panoramic

Hemispheric

Regional

This mode lets you click and drag to pan across one wide panoramic view. e.g.:

You'll note that for my particular camera, it cuts off a lot of the field of view when using any dewarping mode. Blue Iris is only capturing a circular section out of the center, I guess. Additionally, you can't choose the "Regional" mode for remote viewing (that one is only available in Blue Iris's local console).

Alan2000

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
Sounds like on playback it can do dewarping. That is all I really wanted. Not all that important for us to have live view dewarping. Thanks for info!

Reaction score
Those images, particularly the hemispheric, look pretty good.

I reviewed the manual for Bl and have not been able to find a guide to setting up the camera for dewarping. Is there a guide somewhere for the config for this feature?

fenderman

Staff member
Reaction score
Those images, particularly the hemispheric, look pretty good.

I reviewed the manual for Bl and have not been able to find a guide to setting up the camera for dewarping. Is there a guide somewhere for the config for this feature?
Its in the video tab...see other thread on this.