Blue Iris 4 crashing, cannot get the GUI to open

alwayson

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
Hello,

I have been using Blue Iris v4 for a couple of years and was ready to upgrade to V5, but recently began facing two issues (with v4). The first issue is

1) Blue Iris v4 began to shut down automatically a couple of minutes after launching, I rechecked my storage drives etc. and emptied them hoping it would work fine, then it worked ok for about 30 mins.

2) Now Blue Iris (v4) does not even open, I launch it and it automatically crashes. I have tried the Blue Iris tools force restart option, but the issue persists. It tries to launch Blue Iris (v4) but it does not launch.

I launched task manager and do not see Blue Iris running, and CPU usage is about 10%.

I do not know what to do...any thoughts? I do not have a recent export of the Blue Iris v4 settings, but at this point, I do not mind reinstalling v4 or upgrading to v5 and adding the cameras etc.

Thank you friends

SouthernYankee

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
Suggestion, look at the Microsoft event log, it should show you the reason for the crash. Post the info.

also delete the files in the Database folder, you will lose the alerts, but not the video files.

bp2008

Staff member
Reaction score
Yeah, I'd try deleting the database folder and if that doesn't fix it then wipe out the entire settings from the registry and start over :( Might as well upgrade to v5 before reconfiguring everything.

alwayson

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
Ok I deleted the clips, archives etc. and now it is launching. Let's hope it does not crash after few minutes of running...that was the first issue I faced, where is crashed after running for a while.

I will update on here in a couple of hours, either it should still be running or it has crashed.
A few questions:

1) Why did cleaning/deleting the database 'resolve' the issue of it not opening?

2) If I want to migrate to BI v5, should I export my settings from BI v4, create a reg file and then install BI v5 and import those settings?

3) I am still confused about alerts, vs. clips, vs. video files.... :(

Thank you for your time and help

Last edited: