Black border around feed web server

boneless

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
Hi all,

I just upgraded from BI4 to BI5. One of the issues I ran into is that all cameras now show a big fat black border. Even in full screen mode.

Any ideas?

Thank you!

boneless

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
I run a RPi3B 247, showing a cycling feed. Browser is chromium.

Attached screenshot is from my PC. Left is FF, full screen (showing border), right is Chrome, showing as intended. I never used chrome on the PC to check the camera feed.

Attachments

boneless

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
Just noticed, it only does it when set at camera cycle. Also on the Chrome browser mentioned.

*edit. And border disappears when put in JPEG mode.

bp2008

Staff member
Reaction score
Hmm. So, part of it could be the "No signal" status which causes Blue Iris to auto-generate an image and I'm not sure how it handles different aspect ratios.

But auto-cycle can also yield results like this when you use an H.264 streaming method. H.264 video can't change resolution midway through, so Blue Iris just initializes the video encoder at the resolution of the regular group frame, and any camera that doesn't have a perfectly matching aspect ratio will be rendered with black bars within the video stream. Then when the video is displayed in UI3, if the video size doesn't match your viewport size, you can get even more black bars outside of the video stream. In just the right combination, one set of black bars will be on the sides and the other set will be top and bottom, and presto, your video is letterboxed.

When you stream in JPEG mode, each frame is independent of every other frame, so it can be rendered at the most appropriate resolution and shown with only one set of black bars.

To improve the behavior you get, I suggest you go here and change the group frame size to 1920x1080 or whatever best fits your monitor's size. Do be aware that the higher the resolution you set, the more CPU time it will require to encode your video. 1920x1080 is usually manageable. 3840x2160 (4K) might not be. (note: you can type in the frame size box, you don't have to select from the pre-filled values)

boneless

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
Thank you for the elaborate answer!

I think you may be on to something. I setup the BI5 using my external desktop, it causes the screen to be in a weird resolution. Connecting using VNC now, allows me to set a different resolution (1920) on the desktop.
I tried changing the frame size in BI, but it is limited to maximum 1600x1200. It does seem to have any impact on the web-server either.

I just picked the offline camera so that I don't have to check for private images, the behavior is the same on all camera's. 11 in total.