BIG Owl on my Trail

TheWaterbug

Getting comfortable
Reaction score
Very Pregnant Coyote on Thoroughbred Trail 03/03/24

Shouldn't she be on bed rest by now?

It's been 56 days since they mated, and coyote gestation is generally stated to be 60-63 days, so she should whelp any day now.

Is that hairless patch because of her leg rubbing against her distended belly? Or excessive grooming? Or ????

TheWaterbug

Getting comfortable
Reaction score
Extremely Pregnant Coyote Thoroughbred Trail, 03/07/24

This is 60 days after a mating episode captured on 01/07/24:

although Janet reminds me that that was a mating episode, and not necessarily the mating episode, and coyotes might mate for about a week or more.

But she's clearly very pregnant, and coyote gestation is 60-63 days, so she should drop puppies any day now!

TheWaterbug

Getting comfortable
Reaction score
I’ve been told that the female sheds abdominal fur in late pregnancy to make it easier for the pups to nurse.

It also makes things easier for the ultrasound technician.

TheWaterbug

Getting comfortable
Reaction score
Mother Coyote (?) on Thoroughbred Trail, 03/10/24

I think this is the mother coyote that just whelped within the last 3 days. Right after she crosses cameras you can see a patch of missing abdominal fur, and she's clearly much svelter than she was on the 7th, if this is the same coyote.

What do you think?

Parley

Known around here
Reaction score
Mother Coyote (?) on Thoroughbred Trail, 03/10/24

I think this is the mother coyote that just whelped within the last 3 days. Right after she crosses cameras you can see a patch of missing abdominal fur, and she's clearly much svelter than she was on the 7th, if this is the same coyote.

What do you think?
Could be as I do not have a clue.

TheWaterbug

Getting comfortable
Reaction score
Coyote With Prey on Thoroughbred Trail, 04/06/24

Looks like a rabbit, but I can't tell for sure because it's too blurry.

I need to figure out how to optimize the shutter speed on these Amcrest IP5M-T1179E cameras. I had them on Auto, but I just switched them to Night Profile, Shutter Priority, 1/120th. We'll see if that improves the next capture.

TheWaterbug

Getting comfortable
Reaction score
I think I've had them on Auto for a long time. I did just try adjusting them 2 days ago for 1/250 [snip]

I also got this massive over-exposure during the day [snip] despite having the 1/250th set only for the Night profile, and having a time schedule set up [, so I set it back to Auto]. I'll start a separate thread about that.
Bleah. I tried fixing it with "schedule" profiles last year, and apparently that feature does not work properly. I found this thread mentioning the dahua sunrise/sunset sensor service. Anyone know if this works with Amcrest cameras? I'll try it.

TheWaterbug

Getting comfortable
Reaction score
Coyote With Prey on Thoroughbred Trail, 04/07/24

5 minutes after the last one, here comes another! I did get the shutter speed on the downhill camera set for 1/120, so you can see everything get sharper when it crosses over, but I didn't get the uphill camera set properly, because the Amcrest software is really buggy.

But I think I have it all worked out now, so tonight's coyotes should be sharper.

TheWaterbug

Getting comfortable
Reaction score
3 Coyotes on Thoroughbred Trail at 1/120 sec Shutter Priority, 04/07/24

Nothing too remarkable about this footage except that I think I finally have my camera system set up to switch to Shutter Priority, 1/120 sec, during night-time, and Auto exposure during daytime.

Thanks to bp2008 for the Dahua Sunrise/Sunset Tool!

The 3rd coyote bounds through the center of the image pretty swiftly, and if you go frame-by-frame (comma and period keys) you can see that the action is captured pretty crisply, as opposed to a few days ago, when it was very blurry:

even with a slower coyote.