BI5 - Do you have to have a support/maintenance plan to get minor updates?

Sybertiger

Known around here
Reaction score
I started off with BI4 for a short period then came along BI5 so I selected the one year support/maintenance plan with the understanding I would get upgraded from BI4 to BI5 AND continue to get BI5 minor updates over the life of BI5. Did I misunderstand that? Looks like the option to get the latest minor update is grayed out.

Capture3.JPG

Ssayer

BIT Beta Team
Reaction score
"so I selected the one year support/maintenance plan " <-- one year

You get a year of updates. There've been a ton of threads with the same question...

Sybertiger

Known around here
Reaction score
It was my impression that the one year support/maintenance plan was for it you needed one year of hand holding and tech support access then after you are on your own but you'd still get the updates. Is there a way to undo this other than purchase another BI5 license?

Last edited:

Sybertiger

Known around here
Reaction score
If I felt like I needed handholding I would definitely do that but when I upgraded to BI5 it was unnecessary to request tech support because of the wonderful job everyone does on this forum to assist.

Sybertiger

Known around here
Reaction score
Ok, if you don't want updates, that's obviously your choice...
Did something change between BI4 and BI5...I thought when I purchased BI4 I received unlimited updates over the life of BI4. Is that not true with BI5. Clearly I'm just confused....LOL. I would like to be unconfused...the BI software only gets unlimited updates if you are on a 1 year maintenance program?

1609701564524.png

ajwitt

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
BI is simply enforcing something that has always been stated even with BI4, he simply allowed people in the past to update well past the year. BI started enforcing this policy about 6-8 months ago.

Nice thing about this software is there is always some stable version available within the period your purchased it.

I am of the mindset if it ain't broke, don't fix it, so I am running 5.3.something that fits my needs and I still have time available to update to the most recent, but choose not to. If you want updates beyond the 1 year, simply do the extend support and maintenance option.

saltwater

Getting comfortable
Reaction score
I recently renewed my BI a few days ago. We are talking about $30 (or in my case $43 AUD). Why are there so many threads on this topic?

If you really want to complain you should have been around in the 80's when software was extremely expensive. Who remembers dBase II (relational database management system), if memory serves me right, that was a $1000+ .product. That is the program I started with to learn databasing.

In comparison, software these days is extremely cheap and affordable, but I get it, some people expect everything for nothing.