BI won't record to NAS

42etus

n3wb
Reaction score
I have a Synology NAS (DS215j) that I want BI to record clips to. I have the path set to "\\DS215J\home\Blue Iris\New" but it won't record there. The BI status page shows a red X beside the entry for my NAS, so I'm thinking BI can't access it. If I change the path to my local drive, it will record. What am I missing here?

lviperz

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
Can you browse to the folder from your BI server? Maybe it isn't resolving the name of your NAS. Try replacing the name with the IP address.

42etus

n3wb
Reaction score
Yes, I can browse to the BI folder on the NAS. That's actually how I selected and entered the address. Same result if I enter the IP address, won't record. When I click on the start/stop record icon, nothing happens. The boarder around the active camera stays white, it should turn red. I think (there I go again...thinking) that it's some kind of login issue to the NAS. How does BI store the login credentials?

lviperz

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
I'm not 100% sure here, but I think if you need to use login credietials for the nas you may need to map the drive and use the mapped drive in BI.

fenderman

Staff member
Reaction score
Are you running as a service?
From the help file...
Note however, that if you are running Blue Iris as a service, you may not be able to use the "LocalSystem" account if your Stored clips folder is located on a network drive; instead, you must use a named user account, and give that account rights to the network resource.

42etus

n3wb
Reaction score
Yes, I was running as a service. I stopped the service, rebooted both the computer and the NAS......but still no joy.
Then I uninstalled Blue Iris 4 and then re-installed it..........Bingo now it records to the NAS. I don't know what's up with that, but at least it's working now.
Thanks to all who offered advice.

hidperf

n3wb
Reaction score
This helped me so I wanted to reply here even though it's an old thread.

I was running Blue Iris 4 as a service and it would not write to my mapped drive on my NAS either (FreeNAS Corral) .
I unchecked the "run as service" box, restarted Blue Iris, and now it would write to the NAS.

fenderman

Staff member
Reaction score
This helped me so I wanted to reply here even though it's an old thread.

I was running Blue Iris 4 as a service and it would not write to my mapped drive on my NAS either (FreeNAS Corral) .
I unchecked the "run as service" box, restarted Blue Iris, and now it would write to the NAS.
you can do both as explained above...

fenderman

Staff member
Reaction score
That didn't work for me, which is why I posted exactly what did work.
it didnt work because you didnt properly set it up...point is it can easily be done for someone who wants to run as a service ..