BI UI3 streaming vs YouTube stream?

marklyn

Pulling my weight
Reaction score
I have an owl cam and a bird feeder cam that I've set up for my neighborhood using BI and a neighborhood login so everyone can watch, 24 hours a day.
I recently set up a test stream from one of the cams to a live YouTube feed.
Is there any advantage in regard to bandwidth usage if there were 10 users watching at a given time on either platform?
I do like YouTube comments area where users can chat about the videos but I also like the ease of reviewing past clips in BI UI3 for the viewing audience.
Any other comments related to using either platform is appreciated.

DarkHelmet

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
definitely a bandwidth advantage to youtube. if you stream to youtube, you are sending one stream and they handle the rest. otherwise, you are sending ten individual streams to the viewers. 10x the bandwidth and CPU use.

edit: also security advantages.. you wouldnt need to give anyone your IP. you might be able to trust your neighbors, but can you trust their network security while they are logged into your network?

marklyn

Pulling my weight
Reaction score
definitely a bandwidth advantage to youtube. if you stream to youtube, you are sending one stream and they handle the rest. otherwise, you are sending ten individual streams to the viewers. 10x the bandwidth and CPU use.
That's what I thought too but then again I could have swore I read somewhere that BI doesn't send individual streams to viewers... I've been trying to find that info this morning (without luck).

DarkHelmet

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
you might be thinking of something like Multicast, but that is only for LAN users, not people accessing externally via UI3.