BI Status Bar- "amount of headroom"

Kingsley

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
Can anyone tell me what this means in plain English? I/m perplexed. According to the NAS software, there appears to be plenty of headroom, but BI seems to indicate a serious shortage.

blue_iris.JPG

fenderman

Staff member
Reaction score
Can anyone tell me what this means in plain English? I/m perplexed. According to the NAS software, there appears to be plenty of headroom, but BI seems to indicate a serious shortage.

View attachment 9180
Its based on how much you allocated in the clips and archiving tab...the combination of all folders...you must have allocated too much.

Kingsley

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
Answered my own question -- finally.

The GB to TB conversion confused me. I was asking BI to store a total of 3650 GB, which I was thinking of as 3.65 TB. The drive is actually only 3.57 TB and I was asking BI to store 3.56 binary TB, so eventually, the hard drive would have been overwhelmed by my settings for storage size. I forget that 4 TB is not really 4 TB.

Last edited by a moderator:

hidperf

n3wb
Reaction score
I'd like to bring this old thread back, because I'm lost on this too.

I have NAS that is dedicated to storing my clips.

Total available space is 1,847.64GB.

I have my New clips set to 500GB limit.
I have my Stored clips set to a 500GB limit.
I have my Alerts set to a 250GB limit.

Currently, the device shows 1,047.97GB used.

BI is RED and says I have -338.1G, so I'm assuming I'm over my allocation by this much.

Shouldn't my current used amount never exceed what I setup in BI for my limits?

And why does it say I'm over my limit when I still have ~800GB available?

fenderman

Staff member
Reaction score
I'd like to bring this old thread back, because I'm lost on this too.

I have NAS that is dedicated to storing my clips.

Total available space is 1,847.64GB.

I have my New clips set to 500GB limit.
I have my Stored clips set to a 500GB limit.
I have my Alerts set to a 250GB limit.

Currently, the device shows 1,047.97GB used.

BI is RED and says I have -338.1G, so I'm assuming I'm over my allocation by this much.

Shouldn't my current used amount never exceed what I setup in BI for my limits?

And why does it say I'm over my limit when I still have ~800GB available?
what about the alerts and aux folder? Post an image of your clips storage tab...select the three vertical bar icon on top left...

fenderman

Staff member
Reaction score
The red denotes an overalocation...how much is actually used is irrelevant...post an image of your storage limit for each folder...
You can also try repairing the database to see if that resolves it..

hidperf

n3wb
Reaction score
The red denotes an overalocation...how much is actually used is irrelevant...post an image of your storage limit for each folder...
You can also try repairing the database to see if that resolves it..
I understand what the red stands for, but it doesn't seem to coincide with what's actually on my NAS.
And I just checked each folder and the clip dates are correct, so it's working as far as the number of days to keep them.

Attachments

fenderman

Staff member
Reaction score
I understand what the red stands for, but it doesn't seem to coincide with what's actually on my NAS.
And I just checked each folder and the clip dates are correct, so it's working as far as the number of days to keep them.

ok, here is your problem...your nas only has 800gb free space and you've allocated 1250gb...there is only 112gb of actual footage on the nas as far as blue iris is concerned...if this is not the case you must rebuild the database as I indicated..

hidperf

n3wb
Reaction score
ok, here is your problem...your nas only has 800gb free space and you've allocated 1250gb...there is only 112gb of actual footage on the nas as far as blue iris is concerned...if this is not the case you must rebuild the database as I indicated..
Attempted a repair. Crashed in the middle of it and just says Generating 95%.
Attempted to repair again, nothing. Any ideas?

Attachments

fenderman

Staff member
Reaction score
Restart the PC and try again... what version of Blue are you running

hidperf

n3wb
Reaction score
Restart the PC and try again... what version of Blue is a you're running
thanks for the help BTW. Didn't want to reboot in case it might break something.

After reboot, it's rebuilding now. I'll report back when it's done.

V 4.5.0.0 x64

Attachments

hidperf

n3wb
Reaction score
thanks for the help BTW. Didn't want to reboot in case it might break something.

After reboot, it's rebuilding now. I'll report back when it's done.

V 4.5.0.0 x64
Finished.

While it was rebuilding I did some more digging on the NAS. Other than the 500MB of factory installed documentation and software, I found a folder called trashbox that was on the same share as my mapped folders for BI.
Inside was a folder called Cameras, and inside that folder were two more folders, Alerts and Stored.

Total size of the Cameras folder? 1.05TB!

I'm assuming that this is where BI moves files from my Alerts and Stored folders when it's time to delete them, instead of actually deleting them, because I didn't create these and the file dates make sense.

So I guess my next question is, did I set something up wrong so that it's keeping old files forever?

Attachments

fenderman

Staff member
Reaction score
Finished.

While it was rebuilding I did some more digging on the NAS. Other than the 500MB of factory installed documentation and software, I found a folder called trashbox that was on the same share as my mapped folders for BI.
Inside was a folder called Cameras, and inside that folder were two more folders, Alerts and Stored.

Total size of the Cameras folder? 1.05TB!

I'm assuming that this is where BI moves files from my Alerts and Stored folders when it's time to delete them, instead of actually deleting them, because I didn't create these and the file dates make sense.

So I guess my next question is, did I set something up wrong so that it's keeping old files forever?
BI does not do this...this must be something your NAS is doing..check your settings

hidperf

n3wb
Reaction score