BI slow climb to 100% and I can't figure out why - Help!

Reaction score
I have a problem where over a short period of time when running BI the CPU ends up at 100% utilization. At that point BI becomes pretty much non-responsive. Here’s the complete configuration.

Windows 10 Pro
Intel Core 2 Duo CPU T7500 at 2.2GHz
2 GB of RAM

Yes, I know that’s not the ideal computer, in fact laptop computer to use but it does the job fairly well with the exception of the problem mentioned above. Here’s the camera connections/configurations.

Camera 1 is connected via Ethernet through a AVIOSYS 9100A network video server. If you’ve never seen one of these, they were pretty cool little video server boxes and were great back when any type of video server over Ethernet cost an arm and a leg. Now days applications like BI make them pretty much overpriced and lacking in features. However, if you have an RCA or BNC type video camera, it can be attached to the 9100 and a Jpeg image or even streaming can be pulled from the box over Ethernet – and yes, right into BI – works great. This is how I have one of my non-Ethernet cameras connected. Here’s a link if you’d like to take a look at the box - http://www.amazon.com/Video-9100A-Network-Server-Black/product-reviews/B000HBVTCA

Camera 2 is also a BNC connected camera just like Camera 1 except instead of going into a AVIOSYS 9100A box it’s going into a Sabrent USB 2.0 video capture device directly on the laptop. BI does a great job of pulling the video from the USB video capture device.

Camera’s 3 through 8 are all FOSCAM’s FI8900 series and I’m pulling over Ethernet (not WiFi).

Once started, BI settles in around 60% CPU utilization. Not bad for pulling 8 640x480 images. All FPS are set to auto to let BI manage the best frame rate. However shortly after starting up, the CPU starts to climb, and continues until it’s in the 90% range, finally topping out at 100% and getting stuck there. It doesn’t matter if there is motion or not. I have disabled Camera 1 and Camera 2 (the odd balls) and just used the FOSCAM’s. Eventually the same thing happens. Even disabling 4 of the 8 FOSCAM’s, this problem will eventually show up. This is a fresh install of Windows 10 and there are no other applications other than TightVNC on the laptop. I’ve even un-installed TightVNC to see if that affected anything, no change. I also completely uninstalled BI, cleared the registry and re-installed – same problem occurs. The link below is to my Dropbox of a screen capture session of this issue occurring. The CPU starts to climb at about the 2:30 mark. I close down BI before it completely locks the computer up and restart it. BI comes up really slow so I do it again, this time it comes up even slower. Finally, I get it closed and show the task manager, which shows about 13% CPU utilization and BI isn’t running. I open BI again and it opens right up but heads to 100% almost right away. I’m at my wits end. If I start disabling cameras before BI becomes un-responsive, then I can manage to stop the issue, but I typically have to shut down almost all the cameras for this to happen. Now it may be tough for a laptop to run BI, but that doesn’t explain the continued climb of the CPU utilization after BI is up and running, even when there are just a couple of cameras enabled. I have most of the features of the cameras set to minimums, such as the time/date stamp backgrounds are not transparent, the pre-check video buffer is unchecked, I run BI minimized (I have also tried running as a service – same issue occurs). For those who would say it’s time to get a new computer, well yes I would agree but that’s not possible right now. Also, this laptop ran prior versions of BI on Windows 7 without any problems and with the latest version of Windows 10 and latest version of BI I was hoping for the success that others have reported on the site. Any constructive suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

https://www.dropbox.com/s/kke2e893y6aqs5g/ScreenCapture_12-22-2015 7.17.06 PM.wmv?dl=0

Thanks,
Todd

As an Amazon Associate IPCamTalk earns from qualifying purchases.