BI remote access

Petey

n3wb
Reaction score
Hey all.
I cannot for the life of me figure this problem out. I have no remote access outside of my LAN.
I have tried changing the port from 80 to 8585.
I have set BI to have access in Windows Firewall, and even turned off the firewall all together.
I have/had both ports, 80 or 8585 forwarded in my router (Netgear R7000).

Using the Remote Access Wizard everything checks out until I get to the third from last page, Remote Access Test, which times out every time. Same thing happens every time @ http://canyouseeme.org/ on whatever port I am using.

Thing is, It used to work but I have no idea what changed in the meantime. There was a reasonably long period of time where I had no reason to use remote access or even check it.

Running Windows 8.1

Petey

n3wb
Reaction score
How are you trying remote access?
If its via a cell phone, make sure you are NOT using your wifi and on a cellular network..this is important if you are using a modem/router combo that does not support nat loopback.
Yes, tried from an iPhone, iPad and Android. All with WiFi turned off and on LTE.

fenderman

Staff member
Reaction score
Yes, tried from an iPhone, iPad and Android. All with WiFi turned off and on LTE.
What kind of modem is being used? is it a router/combo if so, is it in bridge mode?

Petey

n3wb
Reaction score
Arris TG1672G
Thanks so much.
Put the modem in bridge mode and it works!

fenderman

Staff member
Reaction score
Arris TG1672G
Thanks so much.
Put the modem in bridge mode and it works!
Great. Those combos are nothing but problems...if your isp is charging you for it, buy your own modem and never look back..save 120 a year..(if you are getting phone service via the cable company you will need a modem that supports phone as well) they have a list of compatible modems on their site.